Russian Tortoise or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Ok I think I will chime in now.
Yes It is a greek. I have two Greeks and one is a golden greek male They are a little more difficult than a russian or hermanns but are wonderful torts. Mine are both wc. and are not as sociable as russians. However I can now anounce I have one new cb greek I found on Sat. Nov. 3 in the enclosure. I will post pics in the pic forum later. But back to your tort. They do not like much humidity. I agree take him to a vet and check for worms. Most wc do have them. They are wonderful torts. and I look forward to increasing my troop with a few more Females and another male or two for breeding.
Good luck. and happy learning.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Crazy1 said:
Yes It is a greek. I have two Greeks and one is a golden greek male They are a little more difficult than a russian or hermanns but are wonderful torts. Mine are both wc. and are not as sociable as russians. However I can now anounce I have one new cb greek I found on Sat. Nov. 3 in the enclosure. I will post pics in the pic forum later. But back to your tort. They do not like much humidity. I agree take him to a vet and check for worms. Most wc do have them. They are wonderful torts. and I look forward to increasing my troop with a few more Females and another male or two for breeding.

Maybe where Cam got her "Russian" has a few more for sell...lol

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Bansh88 said:
Uh....I'm going to go with a Hermann. It's lot more dull colored than most Hermanns, including my own but that looks like a Hermann to me.

Someone else will chime in soon. Not to try and debate Hermanni Chris, I could very well be wrong. Someone who was posting a ton of Hermann stuff has 2 Hermann that I could've swore looked JUST like that. I'mm too lazy to search but maybe someone else can.

Hi bansh, like Hermanni chris said, hermanns are look-a-likes (if not almost identicle) to greeks, and are often mistaken for hermanns.
but a hermanns is what i have, and what barbie has, cam has a greek for sure

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Beautiful Hermann's you have. What did your vet use for the worms?

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
HermanniChris said:
Totally different;)
Although the colors are similar, again you DO NOT have a hermann's tortoise. Also to be honest with you, these greeks can be much much more sensitive than hermann's tortoises when wild caught. This is why i suggest that you worm the animal and possibly take it to a vet for an exam. Hermann's are much hardier than these greeks, but like I said once settled in he should do fine for you.
[/quote]

I gave our little Greek boy a bath, a spritz of reptile relief and a dose of Panacur. I also changed up his enclosure a bit and went out and bought the suggested diet of greens...I wish he'd "donate" a fecal so we can get him into the vet. Maybe I'l do the visit and the fecal separately...The first 2 vets I phoned (herp vets) had never heard of a Greek anything (let alone his scientific name) and they both suggested Ivermectin. So I have a call into the vet who is an hour away but much more knowledgable.
Can I do timothy hay for him?

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Crazy1 said:

I can't imagine anything being more soiable than this one. The Russians and Hermann's must like puppies:D I added an extra light for heat as it appears they cannot tolerate the dips like the others...here in MN our house is at 68* for about 3 months and that won't do for him at night:( I am just hoping that he is sweet because that is his temperament and not just because he's full of creepy crawlies and feels too lousy to be recluse.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Crazy1 said:
I can now anounce I have one new cb greek I found on Sat. Nov. 3 in the enclosure. I will post pics in the pic forum later.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Are you looking to sell him/her down the road;)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Vets annoy me :( Please don't ever give Ivermectin to a tortoise, it's just not worth the chance of killing your tortoise.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
egyptiandan said:
Vets annoy me :( Please don't ever give Ivermectin to a tortoise, it's just not worth the chance of killing your tortoise.

Danny

We went through a "near death" with our Beardie...NEVER again!

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Cam said:

Thank you very much!:D I actually only kept the smaller of the two because I could not be sure the larger one was not a male. "He" kept trying to mate with the smaller one. LOL I sent him back at no charge to me, they were great! As far as the medicine I just put the bill away today so I will take a look tonight when I get home and let you know.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
barbie69 said:
Cam said:

Thank you very much!:D I actually only kept the smaller of the two because I could not be sure the larger one was not a male. "He" kept trying to mate with the smaller one. LOL I sent him back at no charge to me, they were great! As far as the medicine I just put the bill away today so I will take a look tonight when I get home and let you know.

Thank you:)

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
barbie69 said:
Cam said:

The bill says Panacur but no amount, just cost of $17. She did two doses and had two clean fecals and then she was fine.:) She was a little picky about food for maybe a couple days and then she realized food is good and she is quite the little piggy now. It is so funny when I feed them how fast they come running from wherever they are.:p

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
[/quote]

The bill says Panacur but no amount, just cost of $17. She did two doses and had two clean fecals and then she was fine.:) She was a little picky about food for maybe a couple days and then she realized food is good and she is quite the little piggy now. It is so funny when I feed them how fast they come running from wherever they are.:p
[/quote]
Thank you for checking into the med. That is what our vet uses too...Our little guy has not eaten yet today...hopefully after his bath he'll feel a bit better:)

Status
Not open for further replies.