Russian Tortoise Not Eating

oliviaabrah

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Hello!

I've owned my Russian Tortoise, Russell, for a little over a year now. He is always a great eater and enjoys the many veggies that I give to him, such as kale, spring mix, escarole, mustard greens, etc. I switch up the greens almost every week and combine some greens together to make a nice salad. I will dust with calcium on Wednesdays and Fridays and give him a multivitamin on Mondays (Tuesdays and Thursdays are no dust days). His temperature is maintained by a heat lamp, and is always a steady 90 degrees on his warm side and 80 degrees on his cool side. He has a UVB strip across his tank, too. I provide him with coco-fiber substrate mixed with some coco-husk. Additionally, his humidity is at 60%. Alongside this, I give him warm baths for 15 minutes 3x weekly. He always has a shallow terracotta saucer filled with water and also has two hides on each side of his enclosure available. It's important to note that this same exact thing happened last year - I took him to the vet thinking he may be constipated. Turns out there was no constipation, but he did have pinworms, so he was treated for that. I also think it's important to note that he is growing quite a bit - there is a new growth ring around his carapace and some of his scutes are separated a bit. I really don't know what else to do, but I'm thinking that maybe this is a habitual thing?? Or a growth thing?? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pic of enclosure should be a 4x8 foot at minimum for an adult.
Let the temps drop to room temp at night. Night temps can go as low as 60.
Do you have an outdoor enclosure for him?
How long has he not been eating?

Reactions: ISU