Russian Tortoise not eating :(

Almitam

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello,
I just got a Russian tortoise last night. First time every having a tortoise as a pet. I haven't seen her eat. She's been active all morning trying to explore her surroundings and what looked like attempting to escape.
Now, she's sleeping a lot and it's only early afternoon. She hasn't eaten either. Should I be worried?

Thanks for all your help!

Manchester
Hello,
I just got a Russian tortoise last night. First time every having a tortoise as a pet. I haven't seen her eat. She's been active all morning trying to explore her surroundings and what looked like attempting to escape.
Now, she's sleeping a lot and it's only early afternoon. She hasn't eaten either. Should I be worried?

Hiya!

She could just be settling in and getting used to her new surroundings, I’d maybe give it a little while longer before you start to panic too much ?

Maybe post a couple pictures of your enclosure and tort so that the experts here can confirm there is nothing that may be causing an issue/cause an issue in the future?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It can take a couple of weeks for a tortoise to settle in and eat.
In the meantime, please read this care sheet. It has up-to-date info on how to care for your tort. Come back with questions or concerns. We're happy to explain our methods.

And welcome to the forum!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Greetings! And Welcome,
I have a Russian and when I first got my guy, he was very shy. As with any tortoise it takes time for them to adjust. THEY do NOT like change. So, this being said, I would do everything you can as to the correct care for your tortoise and monitor any changes. Hopefully soon it should eat begin to have its own routine.
Maybe try different types of varity greens to see what your Russian likes. Think of it as having your own newborn baby, and seeing what your newborn likes! Of course, follow the care sheet instructions for food/diet for a Russian and do not give it anything it is not supposed to. Watch out for plants and greens, vegetables and fruits it is not supposed to have.

Fruits should be fed sparingly, and it is probably best to just leave out fruit all together, high amounds of it can cause health issues.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
When I got my Russian he wouldn't eat for several days before he started to eat. It does take them time to get used to their new habitat to feel comfortable.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
When I got my Russian he wouldn't eat for several days before he started to eat. It does take them time to get used to their new habitat to feel comfortable.
Yes.
I would make sure you have the correct basking/ lighting set up to help your tortoise adjust, they like a basking spot at one end of the cage.
Also, try not to disturb your guy for some bit. Then maybe get to know your tort by petting it's shell, or head/neck. See how he/she reacts to it's owner.

Almitam

Washington
Hello,

Hiya!

She could just be settling in and getting used to her new surroundings, I’d maybe give it a little while longer before you start to panic too much ?

Maybe post a couple pictures of your enclosure and tort so that the experts here can confirm there is nothing that may be causing an issue/cause an issue in the future?
Thank you!!! She started eating! Phew.

Almitam

Washington
Yes.
I would make sure you have the correct basking/ lighting set up to help your tortoise adjust, they like a basking spot at one end of the cage.
Also, try not to disturb your guy for some bit. Then maybe get to know your tort by petting it's shell, or head/neck. See how he/she reacts to it's owner.
She watches me a lot! But she does retreat in her shell whenever I place my hand near her. She will hiss too when she goes in her shell. Is this normal?

I've had her for a 1.5 weeks now. She has eaten dandelions that I am holding in front of her.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
She watches me a lot! But she does retreat in her shell whenever I place my hand near her. She will hiss too when she goes in her shell. Is this normal?

I've had her for a 1.5 weeks now. She has eaten dandelions that I am holding in front of her.
Yes! The hissing is normal, what you are hearing is just air coming from their lungs when they retract into their shell like that.
Russians love love dandelions! I will walk around the neighborhood to get dandelions when it’s nice and give my guy that as a treat.