Russian tortoise not eating

Shellson Mandela

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello, I have had my Russian Tortoise for about 7 months, and at first he was incredibly active (in the springtime) and ate all of his food the second I put it in his tank. However about 2 months ago he became very lethargic and largely stopped eating or digging at all. I though he might be unhappy with his home (it was a bit small) so I moved him to a much larger tortoise table, thinking the extra space would help perk him up, but he still shows absolutely no interest in food, no matter what I offer him. He used to eat a combination of pellets, leafy greens, and small veggies, and I have continued offering it to him every day, but he never eats and I'm getting worried. When I put him in his bath he does drink water.
Any advice?

Shellson Mandela

Maryland
Update: Shellson is still not eating anything. I have tried a variety of different foods, all of which he used to love, but he rarely even seems to notice their presence. Could this have to do with the time of year?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Could you post some pictures of your tort and enclosure? Also what kind of UVB, heat source, ambient light source, substrate, and temps? This will give the necessary info to help you! Welcome

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
You could try mashed up carrot baby food in the water soak to see if they will eat that to get food in. I think you need to look at heat and light and substrate and it could be because of new enclosure.
They like to hide and cave (bury themselves completey) so check layout has deep substrate and a hide. A happy safe tortoise has an appetite.

Shellson Mandela

Maryland
Could you post some pictures of your tort and enclosure? Also what kind of UVB, heat source, ambient light source, substrate, and temps? This will give the necessary info to help you! Welcome

His enclosure is about 3ft by 2.5 feet with a large cave that he sleeps in pretty much every day. I have a UVB bulb and a Heat bulb on during the day, and the temperature is usually around 86˚F. His substrate is about an inch of Repti Bark spread throughout. Here are some pictures.wudmo2%gRje6+2wKWNZBvw.jpgMEpk4c8eSHO99MDwhmCjng.jpg

Ginastiles17

Hawesville ky
I had a problem with mine not eating. I've had him 2 years I ended up taking him to the vet because he wouldn't open his eyes either and she said if there eyes aren't open they will not eat...it ended up being a Vitamin A deficiency, totally my fault but with some Vitamin A drops AND FORCING him to eat veggies i pureed in a blended enriched with Vitamin A her back to hisself eyes wide open and eating a better blend of good now, lesson learned

Shellson Mandela

Maryland
Hmmmm, his eyes don't seem to have a problem opening, so I don't know. How did you force him to eat his veggies? Whenever I put any food near his head he just walks away.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Ginastiles17

Hawesville ky
Vet told me to buy a syringe and cut up Vitamin A enriched veggies and she gave me a lil tool to open his mouth and squirt it in. NOT an easy task to do for sure but eventually it worked qnd hes great now

Shellson Mandela

Maryland
Vet told me to buy a syringe and cut up Vitamin A enriched veggies and she gave me a lil tool to open his mouth and squirt it in. NOT an easy task to do for sure but eventually it worked qnd hes great now

I will get in contact with the vet's office and see if that's whats best for Shellson Mandela. Thank you so much for the advice!