Russian Tortoise not acting right

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
pORtland
Hi all,

I've had my tortoise for around 7 years now. It lives outside in the warm months and inside during the cold and wet months. I feel like over the years I've gotten his care down pretty well and hes always been healthy and active. He was acting completely normal this summer but once I brought him inside he has not been himself.

He is not coming out of his sleeping den in the morning so I have to bring him out. He is not very active either and is mostly just laying in one spot under his basking light. He is eating every day but not as much as he usually does and is hardly pooping or secreting at all, which is most concerning to me.

I have been soaking him every few days for around 15 mins and giving him more romaine hearts trying to ensure he stays hydrated. I bought a brand new uva/uvb bulb as I do every year when I bring him inside after the summer. Temps seem okay: 92° in his basking spot, 73° right outside his den and 83° in between. Our house is set at 65° at night so that is his sleeping temp.

Any tips on what may be going on? It seems like an overall metabolism slow down, could I have gotten a bunk uva/uvb bulb? Could he be impacted? Im thinking it may be time to take him to a vet. If anyone has any helpful insight/suggestions or a recommendation for a reptile vet in the Portland, OR area I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises detect the shortening of the days and slow down even in the best heated enclosure.

It’s not quite warm enough under your basking lamp. It needs to be 95-100F. The lamp should be hanging vertically, not be at an angle, and all you need to do is lower it toward the substrate a little to raise the basking temperature.

I suggest you get an infrared temperature gun type thermometer if you don’t already have one. They’re most accurate.

Carry on hauling him put every morning. Make sure you soak him first thing every day for at least 30 minutes to keep him hydrated. And make sure the enclosure is as brightly lit at possible by day to kid him its summer

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
pORtland
Thanks for your reply. I will try to make some adjustments to get slightly more temperature and light into his enclosure to see if that helps. I do have an infrared temp gun which is what I used to get my readings.

The reason I am concerned is because his setup has remained nearly identical and he has never slowed down like this before.