Russian Tortoise lethargic and not eating

Ruth Ann

Hi from San Jose, Calif.
My name is Ruth Ann and we found a young Russian Tortoise in the middle of the road a couple of months ago. We haven't been able to locate its owners so we have been taking care of him. He was active at first, but now he barely moves and isn't eating. He dug a little hole in the corner of his box and sleeps all day. This has been going on for approx 2 weeks, and he has only eaten once. His eyes and nose are clear and he seems alert and active when I pick him up, but when left alone, he doesn't move from the shallow hole he dug. Is this normal? I've attached a picture of the box we built for him to live in. If you zoom in, you can see him in the corner under the lamp.20161204_133722.jpg 20161204_152753.jpg

Attachments

• 20161204_152931.jpg
    20161204_152931.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians are a hibernating species. You should not let him do this because you haven't had him for at least a year to be sure he is healthy enough to hibernate(brumate). So, at his level be sure the temps are 80 with basking of 95-100 and night temps can drop down to room temp. Also put light on for at least 12 hours and make sure it's bright.

Ruth Ann

Thank you. We've done all that. Lights are on 12 hours a day. His basking rock is around 92-94 degrees. The box is wide open so mostly room temp, but it's warmer in the corner where the additional lamps are hung (heat and UV). Do all Russian Tortoises slow down and grow inactive this time of year? I'm soaking him for a few minutes every morning to perk him up. He's alert and awake after his soak, and usually walks one time around the perimeter of his box before going back to the shallow hole he dug, then back to sleep for the rest of the day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ruth Ann, and welcome to the Forum!

He's probably wild caught and his body is still on "wild, home range time." This means he is acclimated to start cleaning out his system now to prepare to hibernate. You may have to turn off the lights and place him in a cool spot for a couple weeks to fool him into thinking he has hibernated. Then, bring him back to the habitat and warm him up.

Ruth Ann

Thanks. If we decide to do that, how cool/what temp, and do we fluctuate the temp from day to night, or keep it steady? FYI - We're in California so it rarely gets very cold where we're at.

Ruth Ann

Thank you everyone for your advice! We made a few changes based on your advice, and it helped a lot. He's active, alert, curious, friendly, and eating like a pig. Thank you so much.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
I love your endlosure. You have quite the eye for esthetics. I especially like the beautiful water dish with the pair of snails! Hoping your little guy feels better.

Ruth Ann

I love your endlosure. You have quite the eye for esthetics. I especially like the beautiful water dish with the pair of snails! Hoping your little guy feels better.
Thank you! He feels so much better! I was very worried about him, but he's doing MUCH better now. I followed the advice I received here by adding more light, more heat, and a little moisture for his substrate. He's feeling much better now.