Russian tortoise isn’t eating

Hello. I have a 5 year old Russian tortoise. Recently over the past few weeks she has had no interest in her food. She won’t touch it. All she wants to do is sleep. I worry she’ll become dehydrated. This has never happened before with her. I bathe her weekly. I feed her Romain lettuce, spinach, occasionally oranges and apples. Carrots, celery, and broccoli. She sometimes gets a calcium supplement. She has a 150w basking bulb on for 12 hours a day and a 75w blue bulb at night. Her cage stays in the high 70s to mid 80s most days. I’m not looking to take her to the vet. As I don’t live anywheres near an exotic vet. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or what to do to help would be highly appreciated! Thanks IMG_1565750143.678973.jpgIMG_1565750199.949696.jpgIMG_4372.jpgIMG_4043.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I'm still pretty new to the world of Russians, but I think there are some problems with the description you gave that might be affecting your tortoise.

I think providing more of the dietary items suggested in the guide below (and less of the "no feed" items) might help, as would increasing the temp and humidity in the enclosure to the suggested levels.

0849f6f6a1c724dcb7762f5aa3814215.png

Jamie

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As Jamie says your tort's diet needs to change.
Weeds like dandelions, riibwort and broadleaf plantain and clover and many others are available at the moment and a good source of food if picked in chemical/fume free places. www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods and for you to check whether the foods you are currently feeding are OK or should only be given on moderation or not at all etc.
Please also read this link https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
She probably needs more luke warm soaks per week than you are giving her at the moment to help her stay hydrated especially while she is off colour, and if you buy some Gerber carrot only baby food and put that in the soaking water then she will drink in or absorb the nutrients and that may perk her up. I soak my tort everyday, it may not be necessary but it doesn't harm them.
Where are you located?

Last edited:

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
In the second picture her eyes don’t look quite right, you can sort of see the nictitating membrane.
I would do as Lyn says and start carrot soaks.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
And get rid of the blue light at night. They like to sleep in the dark