Russian Tortoise Is Weak

speck

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So My Tortoise was fine 4days ago , he ate and yknow he was happy , but he started sleeping alot and avoiding food , idk if he drinks water but yesterday he was active when i took him outside, but today he looks and acts dead in his tank i picked him up and he dosent open his eyes only one and is TOO WEAK his lims have no strength! he extends his next all the way and moves like he breathing 1 time a minute or sometimes not at all. idk whats wrong if he hibernating or something idk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

turtlebean

Connecticut
Hey there,

Maybe a little more information would help us help you out. Do you have more specific information?

How long have you had him, what does he normally eat? Did he eat something that could’ve made him sick? Whatre the temperatures in the enclosure? Also I agree with Blakem above, that substrate should be changed out asap.

Also, do you regularly soak your tortoise, could he be dehydrated?

Is there an update to this?

speck

Florida
Hey there,

Maybe a little more information would help us help you out. Do you have more specific information?

How long have you had him, what does he normally eat? Did he eat something that could’ve made him sick? Whatre the temperatures in the enclosure? Also I agree with Blakem above, that substrate should be changed out asap.

Also, do you regularly soak your tortoise, could he be dehydrated?

Is there an update to this?
ive had him since september of last year , he eats kale and mostly greens ive tried giving him mixtures of veges but he eats greens most , and tbh he probably did , after the day i took him outside and idk if this had to do with enything but he pooped a hair our and ive cut it thre time so he can poop more out but the hair is still inside him, and the temperature is around 75-80 and i only soaked him like twice a week

turtlebean

Connecticut
ive had him since september of last year , he eats kale and mostly greens ive tried giving him mixtures of veges but he eats greens most , and tbh he probably did , after the day i took him outside and idk if this had to do with enything but he pooped a hair our and ive cut it thre time so he can poop more out but the hair is still inside him, and the temperature is around 75-80 and i only soaked him like twice a week

When you take him outside you should keep a close eye on him so he can’t eat anything poisonous to him and also so you don’t lose him. It’s tempting to just let the little one roam outside but it’s safer for the tortoise to build them a secure, large enclosure, indoors or outdoors and let them roam there.

The basking temperature needs to be about 95-100. This allows his body to digest and will make him more apt to eat.

speck

Florida
When you take him outside you should keep a close eye on him so he can’t eat anything poisonous to him and also so you don’t lose him. It’s tempting to just let the little one roam outside but it’s safer for the tortoise to build them a secure, large enclosure, indoors or outdoors and let them roam there.

The basking temperature needs to be about 95-100. This allows his body to digest and will make him more apt to eat.
yeah, i always sit outside and watch my movies while he roams for 2 hours also he peed green ! and what is poisonous to turtles ? is a vet a order ?

speck

Florida
I have heard others using baby carrot food put into a soak to help a sick tortoise. How long have you owned him? I would get rid of that sand as well. If he eats too much of it it could cause impaction.
He to sick to even eat , he dosent eat his favorite Food , when i showed him kale he come running , now he is just a sitting duck he dosent do enything it looks like he is poisened bc he peed green and white stuff and it was goowy , eny ideas or what im looking at ? is a vet a order?

turtlebean

Connecticut
He to sick to even eat , he dosent eat his favorite Food , when i showed him kale he come running , now he is just a sitting duck he dosent do enything it looks like he is poisened bc he peed green and white stuff and it was goowy , eny ideas or what im looking at ? is a vet a order?

I would suggest bumping up his temperatures, especially his basking temperature to 95-100 and see if that encourages him to eat. Also are you running any UV lights?

I’m pretty sure the white stuff they pee out are urates, and gooey white is good, shows they are not dehydrated compared to grainy white urates.

I don’t have much experience with bringing a tortoise to the vet, someone else might have to weigh in on that.

speck

Florida
I would suggest bumping up his temperatures, especially his basking temperature to 95-100 and see if that encourages him to eat. Also are you running any UV lights?

I’m pretty sure the white stuff they pee out are urates, and gooey white is good, shows they are not dehydrated compared to grainy white urates.

I don’t have much experience with bringing a tortoise to the vet, someone else might have to weigh in on that.
what are uv lights ? i have a heat light

turtlebean

Connecticut
what are uv lights ? i have a heat light

You need a UV light that puts out UVB and UVA rays. It is essential, unless your tortoise is getting an adequate and constant amount of sunlight on a weekly basis.

It should to be hung next to your heat lamp and should be simultaneously turned on with your heat lamp.

I would suggest reading up on the Russian Tortoise Care sheet on this forum and going from there!

Hopefully that helps and provides you with some information!

-Julia R :)