Russian Tortoise has Pneumonia :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Hi all, i'm new to this forum so bear with me. I own a very small Russian Tortoise, as far as i know he's a year and a half old. He was captive bred and i have had him about 4 months. 2 months ago i had him to the vets as he was very lethargic and was always closing his eyes. I was told he had a chest infection and he recieved 4 Baytril injections over 2 weeks. He seemed 2 perk up and they discharged him. In the mean time he has again become lethargic and has started with a runny nose so this time i took him to a reptile vet. I have since found out he has pneumonia as the initial chest infection never cleared :( he has had to have a feeding tube fitted to his neck that goes into his stomach and has had to have several xrays and blood tests. I am so worried for him. He has 0.1ml of oral baytril daily and he is back at the vets in a few days 4 the blood test results and a check up. I am wanting as much advice as i can get please on any of the subjects i have mentioned. I have also been given reptoboost 2 soak him in but at the minute i dont want to bother him too much as he has had a rough couple of days. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi there, Bingbongbibiddybobbo:

What an interesting username!

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I don't know how sick your tortoise was, because I can only go by what you've told us here in writing. But my first impression of what you've told us is, "Wow...that's overkill."

Tortoises can go a very long time without eating. In my opinion, a feeding tube at this stage of the game wasn't warranted. But like I said...I didn't see the tortoise.

Is the tortoise at home, or at the vet's? If at home, then warm up the habitat so that it stays all over around 80F degrees day and night. The best thing for a tortoise with a respiratory infection is to heat him up.

Baytril is the antibiotic of choice for respiratory infections in tortoises, and it usually is administered every other day for 10 days, or every day for 5 days.

I don't know anything about Reptoboost, but if its just an additive to the soaking water, I'd go ahead and soak him per the vet's instructions. Antibiotics are pretty harsh on a tortoise's system and kidneys, and soaking is really a must during treatment. Too bad if he doesn't like it. Do it anyway.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know where appx. in the world you are?

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Hi there, call me Gemma. He has a feeding tube because the vet says it will be a lot less stressful to admin the antibiotics that way and also so he he gets plenty of nourisment while he's recovering. I'm from sheffield in the uk. He is still eating normally though up 2 now, thanks for the reply, i'l soak him for a good 20 mins or so in the morning. The temps are as they shud be, hes lovely and warm and he does seem comfortable.

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Thank you, hes sleepy this morning, had his meds and his feed and water flush. Tried him with some lettuce but he's not interested. I'm going to soak him before his next feed and hopefully that might perk him up. On the plus side though he's pooped so thats good :)

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Hi all, got an update on Mort. Hes back at the vets in 2 weeks but his appetite is back and hes still on the antibiotics (baytril) orally, well through the tube daily (0.1ml) to clear the confirmed pneumonia. The only thing is that his stools are mucousy? Could this be the antibiotics?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would have to say the same thing as Yvonne, keeping the temps up would be best for sure! That is a lot more important then some people think or they just plain dont know. Good luck!

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
His temps are nice and high, hes lovely and cosy. I guess it just takes time for torts to get better, the vet says thats the problem with them. They can get poorly quickly but because they have a sliw metabolism it takes ages to get better :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe took about 6 months to recover from his respiratory infection fully.

He was properly ill for about a month, but just took his time to get back his normal stomping, butting self.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I got super lucky I guess. Cooper had 5 total shots give'n everyother day for his URI. He was back to normal in about 2-3 weeks! I'm so glad it didn't take him long to get better. Hope yours get well soon! :)

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
He back at the vets in 3 weeks now for chest xrays to make sure etherythings cleared up and hopefully he can have hos feeding tube out then aswell :) hes such a trooper :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
bingbongbibidybobbo said:
He back at the vets in 3 weeks now for chest xrays to make sure etherythings cleared up and hopefully he can have hos feeding tube out then aswell :) hes such a trooper :)

That's great news, you have done a very good job taking care of him. The mucousy stools could indeed be due to the antibiotics.
Another good reason to soak: the Reptoboost has probiotics in it, which could help him recover from these effects.
Make sure the water is definitely on the warm side, don't let him cool off in the bath.
Sounds like a strong little guy; cute face in the pic. :)

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Well another update on Mort. His lungs still arnt cleared up so looking at another 6wks on the oral baytril, which also means another 6wks of his tube :( his lungs are a lot lot better but not quite there yet

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
He still manages to eat plenty though!!!! Lol! Well i'm saying he's a he, no one knows yet, still too young. Mort could be Mortisha :)

Attachments

• image-1947066421.png
    image-1947066421.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 45

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Off to the vets again. Morts just had his morning soak and vomitted :( was off his food yesterday. Just hope his feeding tube hasn't moved :(

Status
Not open for further replies.