Russian Tortoise for adoption in Portland, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
pORtland
Sadly, I am writing this in hopes of finding a new home for my beloved Russian Tortoise jokingly named "Soup" :-D I have moved into a small apartment and there is just not enough room for Soup's indoor home. Although, unless I find a suitable new home, he will remain with me and I will do my best to make it work.

I adopted Soup three years ago when my Dad's renter got evicted and could not take him along. He is full grown, healthy, active and has quite a personality. When I first got him he had spots of shell-rot like symptoms from excaping his outdoor enclosure and hybernating under the wet pacific northwest ground. He popped back up in March and was found by my Dad's dog who luckily did no harm. I treated his shell when I first got him and over the last few years his shell has continued to improve and I have watched the most affected areas harden and fall off exposing a new healthy layer. He now has just small hardened white deposites left behind.

During the cold months (Usually early Oct-late May) he lives inside in a 55 gallon Rubbermaid bin under a 100w UVA/UVB light with a den to hideout in. During the other warm months he has lived in a 4x8 ft. outdoor enclosure that I built for him. He will come with the Rubbermaid bin and the clamp light with the UVA/UVB bulb as well as the tray I soak him in.

I soak him for fifteen mins in warm water a few times a week and scrub his shell with a toothbrush. In his outdoor enclosure he also has a dish to soak himself. When he's inside I usually let him explore the house for a while after I soak him.

He eats a varied diet of greens, weeds, vegetables and some fruits including: Romaine, Green Leaf, Red Leaf, Mustard Greens, Kale, Collard Greens, Raddicchio, Endive, Dandelion Greens and Flowers, Carrot, Squash, Apple, Strawberry, Banana and when I let him roam around outside he loves to find weeds and clover to munch on. His favorites are Dandelion Flowers and Carrot.

Well, that's about all the info I can think of. I love him dearly and it sadens me to do this but I'm sure I can find him a good home. I reached out here first because I want him going to another Tortoise lover and someone with some knowledge about them. If you are interested and in the Portland, OR metro area/SW Washington or willing to drive here to get him please let me know and feel free to ask any questions.

Thank You,

Steve

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
pORtland
Current state of Soup's beautiful shell:
xc3yms.jpg

Outdoor enclosure:
33venfs.jpg

i6igyc.jpg

2d9qtew.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Soup looks very good to me. Are you 100% certain you can't keep him? It looks like you obviously have given great care to him while he's been with you. I get the outdoor space issues. Your offseason plans seems to work very good. Any chance he can safely be kept at your Dad's place? Possibly he'd be close enough that you could stop and see him every couple days?

503Tortoise

5 Year Member
pORtland
I would love to keep him but there is no room in my 1bdrm apt during the winter. And although my girlfriend's parents allowed me to build his outdoor enclosure in their yard I can tell it has become a burden for them. I just don't have the space anymore to provide him with what he needs. Wish I had a garage!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hate to see someone give up a tortoise they love. your current living situation how long of a time do you think you'll spend there. a smaller environment is not ideal of course but if it's not forever I usually think it's okay. Just curious good luck in your search if you decide.

Turtle mania

Hi we run a sanctuary for turtles and tortoises , we currently have 1 male horsefeild age 7 years, 1 female horsefeild age 7 yrs and a baby Hermanns tortoise age 12 months /female and 2 spur thighed tortoises age 7 years /male/female we have a new outside enclosure we use for them for day use then they all go back in their tables of a night in our animal room /garage we have converted on the side of house . We also have a brand new freestanding heated pond we have just built for our ever increasing in number turtles, and also have tanks for them as well, tortoises also have use of grassed enclosed garden as well. All our tables have their own heat/UVB bulbs and access to water and have weekly or daily baths depending on their age/size. We are not a charity so run this completely out of our own pocket . We would love to take yours on if it's sounds like something your looking for, you can see some of our turtles etc on my timeline on my Facebook Sarah baker xx your about an hour 1/2 from me

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We would love to take yours on if it's sounds like something your looking for, you can see some of our turtles etc on my timeline on my Facebook Sarah baker xx your about an hour 1/2 from me

Hi Sarah:

According to your facebook page, you're in the UK. The op of this thread is in Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi we run a sanctuary for turtles and tortoises , we currently have 1 male horsefeild age 7 years, 1 female horsefeild age 7 yrs and a baby Hermanns tortoise age 12 months /female and 2 spur thighed tortoises age 7 years /male/female we have a new outside enclosure we use for them for day use then they all go back in their tables of a night in our animal room /garage we have converted on the side of house . We also have a brand new freestanding heated pond we have just built for our ever increasing in number turtles, and also have tanks for them as well, tortoises also have use of grassed enclosed garden as well. All our tables have their own heat/UVB bulbs and access to water and have weekly or daily baths depending on their age/size. We are not a charity so run this completely out of our own pocket . We would love to take yours on if it's sounds like something your looking for, you can see some of our turtles etc on my timeline on my Facebook Sarah baker xx your about an hour 1/2 from me

Can we see pictures?

Lorri

I have enclosures indoors and out and am home all day so he would get plenty of attention. I live in Florida and have three hibiscus plants in my yard which are very healthy to eat. I can pay for shipping if you choose me.

Geno

I live In Newport OR Im interested please msg me back how old is he?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
can we get an update on whether the tortoise has found a home or not? thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.