Russian Tortoise Eye Problems

Leith

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, DC
Hello,
My russian tortoise seems to have some brown stuff in his eye. it has been there a while and i thought it would go away because it looked like dirt. it has gotten worse in the one eye and has spread to the other. it also seems as if he can’t see as far or as well as before.

i know the picture isn’t great, it just looks like some brown liquid stuff on the top of his eye.

Please helpimage.jpg

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it, but here's a picture of what you can buy to clean his eyes and sooth them if they're irritated. I'd use it twice a day for a week or two and see if it helps. Put some on a Q-tip and gently rub the eye (he'll close it), then when finished, try to drop a bit on the actual eyeball:

eye ointment b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hint: When dealing with tortoises' heads, you have to hold the head out. You grab him when he's unsuspecting right behind the jaws and hold tight. They're sometimes stronger than your fingers, so hold tight. I wish "they" made a cattle chute for tortoises!

Leith

Washington, DC
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it, but here's a picture of what you can buy to clean his eyes and sooth them if they're irritated. I'd use it twice a day for a week or two and see if it helps. Put some on a Q-tip and gently rub the eye (he'll close it), then when finished, try to drop a bit on the actual eyeball:

View attachment 244958

Ok, thanks.