Russian tortoise exhaling loudly

samanthag17

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have. Two year old male russian tortoise named Thor. He's very active and healthy. Sometimes I hear him exhaling through his nose very loudly almost like a sneeze. I don't know if this is common or if I should be worried that there's something he's breathing that he doesn't like or something like that. Thanks for the help!

laramill

Location (City and/or State)
NCentral Wisconsin
Is it just occasionally, and like air quickly going out of balloon? Or is it every time he exhales? And is it really like a sneeze? (Ker-choo-- or just whoosh)

Tortoises sometimes have air rush out of them just because of how their built (their shell)-- If it's just a very occasional "whoosh" (air out of a balloon), it's probably normal-- (especially if he's fine every other way)

If it's a sneeze, he has a wet nose, or it's just during regular breathing and common, then I would take him to the vet.

I'm sure you'll get other advice, but I know when you're thinking you may have a problem, a quick response sometimes is what you want most-- Stay tuned for other advice! I'm sure it's on it's way!

Oh-- and I forgot-- Welcome to the forum!