Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
New Russian Tortoise Egg- Fertile?

egg.jpgHey everyone,

My Russian Tortoise laid an egg on the 16th for the first time and I'm not really sure what to look for to see if it is fertile or not. She is around 14 and the male is about 2 years older (16). When I found it in the morning the egg was already chalked over and I am starting to notice a darker white ring around the middle of it. I made the incubator, it is at a constant temperature of about 87-89 degrees and half way buried in moist sand. I realize it is still early, but just wanted to find out some more information.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Hey everyone,

My 14 year old Russian Tortoise laid an egg for the first time some time during the night of the 15th, there is also a 16 year old male tortoise in the enclosure with her. When I found it in the morning, it had already chalked over, and I carefully placed it in an incubator I made. I keep it in a container half buried with moist sand and a cover with holes surrounded by more sand and a constant temperature of about 87-88 degrees. In the past day I have noticed a darker white ring around the middle of the egg and am just wondering if it looks fertile.

Thanks

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 61

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
So far it is looking good. In about 10 days or so you should be able to see a red ring forming inside. You will have to carefully candle it to see that though. Good luck.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Good luck. When our eggs "chalk" they are almost always fertile.

Katherine

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Good luck. When our eggs "chalk" they are almost always fertile.

+1

Exciting, congrats on the egg hope it goes well : )

Status
Not open for further replies.