Russian Tortoise DIY Heat Pannel?

Oogway the russian tort

I'm currently making an outdoor enclosure for one of my Russian tortoises but I need a something to heat his night box as it can get below 40F at night. I didn't want to use a CHE bulb as it would be connected to a thermostat and I'm afraid it might combust or break after turning it on and off continuously. I saw that the heat panels were an option but they don't manufacture these any more https://www.reptilebasics.com/40-watt-radiant-heat-panel . I was wonder what you guys might use as an alternative or if it possible to use convert a heat mat in to a heat panel? or if something like this will be sufficient enough

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. CHE’s won’t “combust or break” from repeatedly being turned on and off by a thermostat. In fact, they are pretty much designed & purpose built to be used with a thermostat. Full stop. The problem with CHEs and large torts is that the heat generated is hot & very dessicating to a tort who plops down right beneath. BUT, you have a Russian, so not the same issue.

What size of an enclosure? And where are you and do you plan on this being 24/7 full time outside?

You could use a Kane or Stanfield or Osborne heat mat. A lot depends what you are trying to do.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you seen Tom's nightboxes? He has a thread about his designs.

My che has lasted for years on a thermostat - no problems at all.

I'm not an electrician but would have thought any heat source would need to be on a thermostat to prevent over heating.

Oogway the russian tort

Greetings. CHE’s won’t “combust or break” from repeatedly being turned on and off by a thermostat. In fact, they are pretty much designed & purpose built to be used with a thermostat. Full stop. The problem with CHEs and large torts is that the heat generated is hot & very dessicating to a tort who plops down right beneath. BUT, you have a Russian, so not the same issue.

What size of an enclosure? And where are you and do you plan on this being 24/7 full time outside?

You could use a Kane or Stanfield or Osborne heat mat. A lot depends what you are trying to do.

The enclosure size im not sure but it is large enough as it is in a weird shape so I can't really measure it properly. I do plan on housing Oogway 24/7. Thanks for the feed back I guess ill be using CHE's now that I know they aren't a problem.

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Would recommend not building your own. I would only purchase a cUL or the like, approved heat panel. IMO the best heat panel on the market is from Pro Products. Contact Bob there and he will custom build any size you want or make a recommendation based on your needs. You can also purchase a weatherproof on/off thermostat that is also UL, cUL or other approval depending on where you are located.