Russian Tortoise Breeding in AZ

Snads

5 Year Member
I've had one Russian Tortoise for several years now and recently got 3 more. I have built a big 20 feet X 6 feet enclosure for all 4 (1 male, 3 female). I live in the Phoenix Arizona area. I was wondering if there are any other Russian Tortoise owners in Arizona who have bred them who could offer some advice. I think my male is too small to mate, but would like to be prepared if and when it happens, so had a few questions.

Would it be okay to leave the eggs in the ground until they hatch in Arizona, or do I need to incubate them? When do Russians typically lay eggs so I know when to watch for it? Any other advice for breeding Russian tortoises in Arizona? Thank you in advance!

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
We keep a group of Russians on the ground in Phoenix. We had one infertile clutch last year. This year, we identified three clutches and ended-up with one hatchling. Given the dramatic growth of several female last year and this year appearing the be the first clutches for at least two of them, I have high hopes for next year. Ours deposited eggs in late-May/early-June.