Russian tortoise bottom shell

Kim&Tim

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Everything you've said here resonates with me, especially the "only human" parts! And I can certainly see how the incident with Peter would influence your answers, particularly the ones about water.

I've enjoyed your posts since you joined. You seem to be very experienced and knowledgeable, and give good advice. And that is what's important here.

And it's 4:45 AM...off to sleep I go! ??

And the same for you? goodnight, sleep tight?! It's day here, I have to work a bit more?

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
You know what it is Karen, I'm only human! And the way I respond depends on my my mood, my patience level, my day, etc etc. I'm only a regular human being, Karen.

When I when I grew up we had Peter the tort. He was my grandpa's tortoise when he was a kid. It was a hot summer day and my 13 year old brother thought Peter could have a nice swim in the pool, he could cool off right? And Peter swam, he swam very well, he swam untill he almost drowned when my mom came home and got frantic when she saw what was going on. He got an ri infection from inhaling water, but he survived, he lived until 2011. Is my brother evil? No, he's a caring 45 year old dad, a great guy. He meant well, he made mistake. But little Peter almost died, and after that a soak was never the same for him. I know what kids do, they don't mean it, but it sometimes hurts. And sometimes they do mean it.

You say you'll love to see me respond to.. Why? But to answer your question, it depends. I could just leave it, just keep scrolling. I could say: why you want to do it? Don't you think it'll hurt? I could say: I wouldn't do it if I where you, the shell is like your nails, it has feeling and it will hurt.

Maybe another option, it all depends, I'm only human, Karen, only human! ?
Betty flipped upside down in her water bowl drowning and suffocating but my parents got her right side up before anything bad could happen now every time I hear a noise I run over to see if Betty is ok and i can’t sleep when we have to leave Betty alone for one day or night freaks me out.

KronksMom

Illinois
What kind of water bowl do you have? Usually a terracotta dish is pretty safe. Even if she flipped herself inside one of those, it wouldn't be deep enough for her to drown. Plus they have some texture to them so she could hopefully right herself.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
What kind of water bowl do you have? Usually a terracotta dish is pretty safe. Even if she flipped herself inside one of those, it wouldn't be deep enough for her to drown. Plus they have some texture to them so she could hopefully right herself.
It was one with a ramp and after that she never went in and I got her a terra cotta dish now and she is afraid of water.

KronksMom

Illinois
If you don't think she's using her water dish any more, make sure you soak her occasionally. Maybe try sitting with her, so she can see you and even talking quietly and calmly to her while she's in there. She probably still won't like it, but she needs the hydration. Just 20 minutes once a week. It'll get easier over time.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
If you don't think she's using her water dish any more, make sure you soak her occasionally. Maybe try sitting with her, so she can see you and even talking quietly and calmly to her while she's in there. She probably still won't like it, but she needs the hydration. Just 20 minutes once a week. It'll get easier over time.

Gonna soak Betty now!

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Gonna soak Betty now!
Timmie doesn't like soaking either, but what helps him is when I do it early in the morning and put him under his basking lamp while soaking in warm water, the temperature you'd bathe a baby in, you can ask your mom what that means?

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Timmie doesn't like soaking either, but what helps him is when I do it early in the morning and put him under his basking lamp while soaking in warm water, the temperature you'd bathe a baby in, you can ask your mom what that means?
I run my bath until it is warm then let it fill up and shove my elbow in to check, my bath tub is on an angle and betty stays on the shallow side I put her in the middle and it looked like the bottom of her shell just went up while the rest of her body went down, cool optical illusion. Betty love carrots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 8