Russian tortoise bottom shell

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA
It appears to be like if there is a tumor on both sides and doesn’t look good it takes ten minutes to focus on my iPad mini 2 and Betty likes to move

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 33

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It’s definitely not a tumor, and +1 for normal wear and tear. However, I also agree that you shouldn’t be painting your tortoise’s nails.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Why? Doesn't help the animal. Probably scared or confused it because of the smell. Exposed it to chemicals for no reason. Borders on animal abuse.

Yup... Really starting to think it's best if I just disappear from the forums. I don't have the patience of @Tom and @Yvonne G.
It’s definitely not a tumor, and +1 for normal wear and tear. However, I also agree that you shouldn’t be painting your tortoise’s nails.
Guess I mess everything up for I guess I should give her to someone with more experience.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Every first time owner of any pet makes mistakes. I sure have when I first started caring for tortoises.

That's true, no one is perfect and no one stops learning either.

However, I've noticed that a few people on this forum seem to be enjoying the same type of things: painting toenails, can russians swim (shows yt video of rt thrown in deep turtle pond), can I feed my Russian worms (shows yt video of rt eating pile of worms), how to make a tortoise bob its head (everyone chips in how to force them to do this), can I make a pool in my rt enclosure, i have yard with 30 ft wall...so he can't escape if i let him loose ok? . I see the same names every time responding and cheering eachother on about these subjects.
Why? Why not just be friendly to the tortoise, give them a good home, good food and let them be happy?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You clearly enjoy your tortoise and are concerned about her health. Is it better to ask questions and learn or give your tortoise away? I have made many mistakes too. But I learned and moved on.. good luck with your gurl

KronksMom

Illinois
We all live and learn. How are any of us supposed to learn if not by making mistakes?
But what you are describing, @Kim&Tim is not at all what Braeden is doing. Sometimes his youthful exuberance takes him too far, but everything he does is with Betty's best interests in mind. I'm not saying there aren't bad tortoise owners on here, or that Breaden's never done anything wrong. But this is a kid who wants to know the right thing to do and will then work very very hard to do that right thing. If you don't believe me, just read through his old postings.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
We all live and learn. How are any of us supposed to learn if not by making mistakes?
But what you are describing, @Kim&Tim is not at all what Braeden is doing. Sometimes his youthful exuberance takes him too far, but everything he does is with Betty's best interests in mind. I'm not saying there aren't bad tortoise owners on here, or that Breaden's never done anything wrong. But this is a kid who wants to know the right thing to do and will then work very very hard to do that right thing. If you don't believe me, just read through his old postings.
Thanks a lot because this is the only place where people support the idea of building Betty a bigger indoor pen my family thinks it is a waste of time and money.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I believe you and I know it's not all him, I do. But when I see all these things I'm like why? I find it hard to look at.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Thanks a lot because this is the only place where people support the idea of building Betty a bigger indoor pen my family thinks it is a waste of time and money.
It's not a waste and I know it's hard because you're not an adult, depend on your family and you can't completely make your own decisions yet. But I think it's great you want to give Betty a bigger pen and I hope your family will help you with that! I also think it's great that when you see something that's strange to you, you ask if it's ok etc. You and Betty will be ok together! Just stay away from the weirdness?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Why? Doesn't help the animal. Probably scared or confused it because of the smell. Exposed it to chemicals for no reason. Borders on animal abuse.

Yup... Really starting to think it's best if I just disappear from the forums. I don't have the patience of @Tom and @Yvonne G.
Betty wasn't hurt by having her nails painted any more than a human or a dog is hurt by it. It's not something I would personally do, even though I decorate my own fingernails.

But c'mon, Ninja! I know you have stated you don't have patience, but that's no excuse for not having kindness, or at least some thoughtfulness put into your words. You told a 12 year old that he was on the border of animal abuse with his own pet. Think how that sounded to him?! Would you have been proud of that statement if he had quit the forum? He comes here for help from people who understand his concern for Betty and hopefully get support that he doesn't get from his family.

That's true, no one is perfect and no one stops learning either.

However, I've noticed that a few people on this forum seem to be enjoying the same type of things: painting toenails, can russians swim (shows yt video of rt thrown in deep turtle pond), can I feed my Russian worms (shows yt video of rt eating pile of worms), how to make a tortoise bob its head (everyone chips in how to force them to do this), can I make a pool in my rt enclosure, i have yard with 30 ft wall...so he can't escape if i let him loose ok? . I see the same names every time responding and cheering eachother on about these subjects.
Why? Why not just be friendly to the tortoise, give them a good home, good food and let them be happy?

As I remember, most, if not all, of the posts you refer to were started by one 15 year old. Not one was started by Braedon.
Sometimes kids ask questions because they really want the answers. Other times, even though they already know the answer to their ridiculous question, they ask because it's fun to push the adults' buttons and stir the pot for reactions. It was certainly successful on you.

TFO cannot censor questions before they appear on the list, so we answer them as we see fit. If truly wanting answers, we give them. If trolling, we eventually figure that out too.

But when I see all these things I'm like why? I find it hard to look at.

I think we, as adults, are afraid of the "slippery slope". If the nails are painted, what's next? Nails, then painted shells?, necklaces, bracelets, anklets?, then earrings around the edge of the carapace?, make it look like a porcupine?

I would find such a tortured tort very hard to look at, and I'm sure you would too. But that's our problem...if we see painted nails and our minds lead us to an abused tortoise, that's not Braedon's fault. All he did was paint the nails.

Finally, you linked Braedon to those other posts, and then took the opportunity to express your derision of the members of the forum who responded. How would you respond? Or just throw them off the list?

I would love for you to be the first responder to a new post by a new member that's 13 years old...."Hi, I'm new. I have a Russian tortoise. I want to make a cool design on her shell. My dad has an engraving machine and I plan on engraving her shell! What do you guys think?"

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Betty wasn't hurt by having her nails painted any more than a human or a dog is hurt by it. It's not something I would personally do, even though I decorate my own fingernails.

But c'mon, Ninja! I know you have stated you don't have patience, but that's no excuse for not having kindness, or at least some thoughtfulness put into your words. You told a 12 year old that he was on the border of animal abuse with his own pet. Think how that sounded to him?! Would you have been proud of that statement if he had quit the forum? He comes here for help from people who understand his concern for Betty and hopefully get support that he doesn't get from his family.

As I remember, most, if not all, of the posts you refer to were started by one 15 year old. Not one was started by Braedon.
Sometimes kids ask questions because they really want the answers. Other times, even though they already know the answer to their ridiculous question, they ask because it's fun to push the adults' buttons and stir the pot for reactions. It was certainly successful on you.

TFO cannot censor questions before they appear on the list, so we answer them as we see fit. If truly wanting answers, we give them. If trolling, we eventually figure that out too.

I think we, as adults, are afraid of the "slippery slope". If the nails are painted, what's next? Nails, then painted shells?, necklaces, bracelets, anklets?, then earrings around the edge of the carapace?, make it look like a porcupine?

I would find such a tortured tort very hard to look at, and I'm sure you would too. But that's our problem...if we see painted nails and our minds lead us to an abused tortoise, that's not Braedon's fault. All he did was paint the nails.

Finally, you linked Braedon to those other posts, and then took the opportunity to express your derision of the members of the forum who responded. How would you respond? Or just throw them off the list?

I would love for you to be the first responder to a new post by a new member that's 13 years old...."Hi, I'm new. I have a Russian tortoise. I want to make a cool design on her shell. My dad has an engraving machine and I plan on engraving her shell! What do you guys think?"

You know what it is Karen, I'm only human! And the way I respond depends on my my mood, my patience level, my day, etc etc. I'm only a regular human being, Karen.

When I when I grew up we had Peter the tort. He was my grandpa's tortoise when he was a kid. It was a hot summer day and my 13 year old brother thought Peter could have a nice swim in the pool, he could cool off right? And Peter swam, he swam very well, he swam untill he almost drowned when my mom came home and got frantic when she saw what was going on. He got an ri infection from inhaling water, but he survived, he lived until 2011. Is my brother evil? No, he's a caring 45 year old dad, a great guy. He meant well, he made mistake. But little Peter almost died, and after that a soak was never the same for him. I know what kids do, they don't mean it, but it sometimes hurts. And sometimes they do mean it.

You say you'll love to see me respond to.. Why? But to answer your question, it depends. I could just leave it, just keep scrolling. I could say: why you want to do it? Don't you think it'll hurt? I could say: I wouldn't do it if I where you, the shell is like your nails, it has feeling and it will hurt.

Maybe another option, it all depends, I'm only human, Karen, only human! ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You know what it is Karen, I'm only human! And the way I respond depends on my my mood, my patience level, my day, etc etc. I'm only a regular human being, Karen.

When I when I grew up we had Peter the tort. He was my grandpa's tortoise when he was a kid. It was a hot summer day and my 13 year old brother thought Peter could have a nice swim in the pool, he could cool off right? And Peter swam, he swam very well, he swam untill he almost drowned when my mom came home and got frantic when she saw what was going on. He got an ri infection from inhaling water, but he survived, he lived until 2011. Is my brother evil? No, he's a caring 45 year old dad, a great guy. He meant well, he made mistake. But little Peter almost died, and after that a soak was never the same for him. I know what kids do, they don't mean it, but it sometimes hurts. And sometimes they do mean it.

You say you'll love to see me respond to.. Why? But to answer your question, it depends. I could just leave it, just keep scrolling. I could say: why you want to do it? Don't you think it'll hurt? I could say: I wouldn't do it if I where you, the shell is like your nails, it has feeling and it will hurt.

Maybe another option, it all depends, I'm only human, Karen, only human! ?
Everything you've said here resonates with me, especially the "only human" parts! And I can certainly see how the incident with Peter would influence your answers, particularly the ones about water.

I've enjoyed your posts since you joined. You seem to be very experienced and knowledgeable, and give good advice. And that is what's important here.

And it's 4:45 AM...off to sleep I go! ??