russian tortoise / bearded dragon roommates ....REAL CL Ad

Mortis_thetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
west central Florida
not a sulcata post but since this is my home section i figured i would post it here. remove or put in proper location if needed . sorry in advanced.

behold. ive seen it all.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/for/6017834375.html

not a scam or any sketchy link.
this kid as a huge bearded dragon and russian tortoise living together. smh.

hope everyone is having a healthy happy tortoise day!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sad and unfortunate, but not all that unusual.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I know someone that has a Russian, box turtle, and bearded dragon living together.

Bee62

Germany
The seller of the animals should be kept in a cage with a monkey.
Mayby then he will understand that it is not right to keep different species together.
Poor guys....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was talking to a man at a vocational careers event a few months back, who has a pet shop and keeps exotics to use for educational visits and kids parties etc. He supposedly rescues them and is given them by people who can no longer keep them. He told me that he keeps his leopard tort who is about 15 inches long in a viv with bearded dragons which I questioned but he was adamant it wasn't a problem. He also argued that the tort didn't need humidity or soaking. When I got home I politely emailed him a link for TTF and the Leopard caresheet for up to date info but he was not very polite in his response. Very frustrating, but we can only try.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I was talking to a man at a vocational careers event a few months back, who has a pet shop and keeps exotics to use for educational visits and kids parties etc. He supposedly rescues them and is given them by people who can no longer keep them. He told me that he keeps his leopard tort who is about 15 inches long in a viv with bearded dragons which I questioned but he was adamant it wasn't a problem. He also argued that the tort didn't need humidity or soaking. When I got home I politely emailed him a link for TTF and the Leopard caresheet for up to date info but he was not very polite in his response. Very frustrating, but we can only try.
Lyn, it's because one of by far the most difficult life skills is admitting to having been wrong and publicly commit to making amends. This is especially true for younger people. They don't want to put themselves in vulnerable position... You know, as much as I hate getting old, I am really relieved by how much easier it is now for me to accept my own vulnerability and just move right on with it. It does suck to be wrong! But so what?! You just get over it! Hey, I used to think it was ok to keep different species together!

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
I talked talked to him and told him some tips seems like a younger kid who couldn't really afford to keep separately and still learning. atleast theres hope.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lyn, it's because one of by far the most difficult life skills is admitting to having been wrong and publicly commit to making amends.

Its not hard. I do it all the time here. I was just like that guy and learned the same stuff that he did. I used to teach people the same stuff he's teaching. I was ignorant, and I learned better.

What I can't understand is this: Why was I able to figure this out, realize I/we were all wrong, realize it wasn't working, discover the right info, admit my failures and try to do better, while sharing the new info with others? Why isn't that guy capable? Or does he need more time and info?

Is it stubbornness? I'm pretty stubborn too. Is it stupidity? Pride? Persistent ignorance? Inability to reason? Some combo of these? Whatever the reason, it is frustrating to run into people like the guy Lyn describes. Still, it is worth the effort. I find that the first person, or the first few people that introduce these new concepts to people who think they know what they are doing are met with anything from dismissal to outright hostility. Someone has to plant that seed. Someone has to introduce the concept. Then, when these ignorant people hear it 5 more times and have their mistakes pointed out and explained, most of them will begin to open their minds and learn. Not all of them, but most of them, in time. I've got a thick skin and I've had the discussion so many times, I already have a well phrased answer or quip to any retort they can come up with. They might not like to hear they are wrong, and they might not like me for pointing it out, but they need to hear it, and they need to change their ways.

I hope we all can keep on trying, despite how frustrating it can be at times. Things are definitely changing for the better, and eventually this ignorance will be reversed. Thanks to all those who are trying to make a difference.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Its not hard. I do it all the time here. I was just like that guy and learned the same stuff that he did. I used to teach people the same stuff he's teaching. I was ignorant, and I learned better.

What I can't understand is this: Why was I able to figure this out, realize I/we were all wrong, realize it wasn't working, discover the right info, admit my failures and try to do better, while sharing the new info with others? Why isn't that guy capable? Or does he need more time and info?

Is it stubbornness? I'm pretty stubborn too. Is it stupidity? Pride? Persistent ignorance? Inability to reason? Some combo of these? Whatever the reason, it is frustrating to run into people like the guy Lyn describes. Still, it is worth the effort. I find that the first person, or the first few people that introduce these new concepts to people who think they know what they are doing are met with anything from dismissal to outright hostility. Someone has to plant that seed. Someone has to introduce the concept. Then, when these ignorant people hear it 5 more times and have their mistakes pointed out and explained, most of them will begin to open their minds and learn. Not all of them, but most of them, in time. I've got a thick skin and I've had the discussion so many times, I already have a well phrased answer or quip to any retort they can come up with. They might not like to hear they are wrong, and they might not like me for pointing it out, but they need to hear it, and they need to change their ways.

I hope we all can keep on trying, despite how frustrating it can be at times. Things are definitely changing for the better, and eventually this ignorance will be reversed. Thanks to all those who are trying to make a difference.
Some of us come out of our childhood with many more "battle scars" than others. You know, it's like a form of PTSD that messes us up for life and some of us are able to figure it out, heal and move on, but many can't! It's those who tend to get defensive and immediately shut down at any attempt of someone offering suggestion even when it comes to welfare of animals. I'm telling ya! It's that "vulnerability thing"! I know how closely i have to remind myself :"this is not about me!" "It's about my pet, or my plant, or my child, or my client" and that's a SKILL that comes with years of practice. You know how many times i get "thiiiis close to saying something"??? But usually controlling that initial impulse to react (note: i said "react" and not "respond") later proves to be a much better choice bcs given few extra seconds to take a breath, give my brain little oxygen/clarity helps me better see things for what they are and nit lose my perspective. And you are so very right about it BEING WORTH IT, to spend time/effort in educating people. In this very part of our Universe you do make a difference.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Admitting when one is wrong that must be a very interesting experience I hope to experience it one day :)
Hahaha!!! It's actually a good feeling! Quite liberating to know that one doesn't have to BE that one is NOT:) I have discovered that only recently myself. Good stuff!:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Admitting when one is wrong that must be a very interesting experience I hope to experience it one day :)

For that to happen, a person would actually have to be wrong, and I just don't see that happening with someone who has attained your level of awesomeness. I'm sorry Cap'n. You are just going to have to imagine how it would feel.

Pearly

5 Year Member
For that to happen, a person would actually have to be wrong, and I just don't see that happening with someone who has attained your level of awesomeness. I'm sorry Cap'n. You are just going to have to imagine how it would feel.
Omg! Tom! This was the masterpiece of shmoozing!!!! Very well done!!!! Love it:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lyn, it's because one of by far the most difficult life skills is admitting to having been wrong and publicly commit to making amends. This is especially true for younger people. They don't want to put themselves in vulnerable position... You know, as much as I hate getting old, I am really relieved by how much easier it is now for me to accept my own vulnerability and just move right on with it. It does suck to be wrong! But so what?! You just get over it! Hey, I used to think it was ok to keep different species together!
Hi Ewa - you are right of course we all live and learn and I learn something new everyday!
He wasn't a youngster but I can only hope he takes a look at TTF and makes a few changes so that when he takes his torts into schools he is giving more up to date information.