Russian tortoise always sleeping

Natalie6628

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston South Carolina
Hey y’all! I’m new to this website but I have learned a lot just from reading other discussions. I have had my Russian tortoise (Darnell) for a few months now. I think he is around 5 years old. Recently I got him a new enclosure and ever since I put him in there he has been sleeping non stop. I give him plenty of leafy greens and keep water in his cage at all times. The enclosure has a shaded area as well as an outside play area to move around. I made sure he’s not dead because every time I touch him, he wakes up. But then shortly after, he falls back asleep. He will move around the cage sometimes but not as much as I would like him to. Does anyone have any tips for this? I’ve had three tortoises/box turtles before and they have never done this. I would also like to add that it is summer time here in Charleston and the weather is hot. Anything will help. Thank you!

Natalie6628

I just bought him a uvb light as well. I am about to install it.

Attachments

• FB373BF1-9DAB-497D-81E7-F0BABA7F9050.jpeg
    FB373BF1-9DAB-497D-81E7-F0BABA7F9050.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 5D4A93EE-4274-41F8-8901-81053638FA64.jpeg
    5D4A93EE-4274-41F8-8901-81053638FA64.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 76532C0C-B69E-4CFC-A621-B957136F4DC2.jpeg
    76532C0C-B69E-4CFC-A621-B957136F4DC2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just bought him a uvb light as well. I am about to install it.
It might be a good idea to put the enclosure on some grass rather than on pea stone. It would be far more stimulating for the tortoise and maybe he/she would become more active and do some grazing. Just make sure there is plenty of shade available.

Another thought is that perhaps the tortoise is simply too hot being on that gravel and that is why he is not very active. It could be trying to aestivate. Has it been eating at all?

Natalie6628

After I installed the uvb light he seemed very happy. I thought about putting it on the grass but I don’t want him to dig out. Also the enclosure is in my shaded garden so I’m not sure how hot the rocks get. I will feel them in the morning.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Putting it on the grass would be a great idea. You could put some wood in the ground or wire. Just make sure it does not have any pesticides.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If he lives outside all summer until it gets cold, he does not need extra UVB. He'll get all he needs from the sunshine. Even if you have a week or two of overcast and clouds, he will be fine.

Most of the time when tortoises dig, they are digging a burrow, or making a hole to sleep in. They usually don't dig down and then back up...they only want one entrance to a burrow.

With that said, Russians are the Houdinis of tortdom. You could do the enclosure one of two ways. You could lay galvanized wire mesh under a thin layer of gravel. You only need strips of it to extend from the bottom of the cage inward about a foot. The tort doesn't know to dig his hole starting farther from the cage. He'll start digging right at the cage edge, and will hit the mesh. After putting the thin layer of gravel over the mesh, dump in lots of substrate, maybe cypress mulch. Whatever you think will do the best in the rain.

Or, and this is what I would do, lay the wire mesh on the grass. Put the cage on top of it. The grass will grow up thru the mesh. You could also plant some tort safe flowers and bushes for him to munch on.

Reactions: ISU

Natalie6628

Hey! Thank you so much. I tried digging underneath the gravel and after about an inch there was already mesh underneath it from when we installed it. So I don’t think that he can dig out. Also i installed the uvb light yesterday and ever since I put it in he has been much livelier. He is walking around and eating more. Should I still take it out?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't know why the light would perk him up like that, but if it's helping him, I guess leave it in.

Is the light inside his hide in that outdoor enclosure?

It needs to be off at night.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Oh I'm so sorry? are you sure he passed? I always say this to people, to wait 48 hours. Sometimes they seem dead, especially when ill, but they're in a deep coma.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey y’all... this is very embarrassing because I just joined this website, but Darnell passed away yesterday afternoon. I am heartbroken. My mother said that he might have been sick when I got him( I bought him from petsmart) but I’m not sure. Anyways, thank y’all for all the helpful tips.
@Natalie6628
Sorry to hear about your tortoise. I do have a question for you. Since you have learned a lot now and bought some good equipment and supplies already, are you going to get another tortoise to replace Darnell? If so, I would recommend that you buy one from someone who actually breeds them him or herself and can give you one which is well started and without possible health issues.

If you want to give me your email address privately (like in a profile conversation) and tell me what kind of tortoise you wish to buy next, I may be able to give you some recommendations on where to get a good specimen.

Natalie6628

@Natalie6628
Sorry to hear about your tortoise. I do have a question for you. Since you have learned a lot now and bought some good equipment and supplies already, are you going to get another tortoise to replace Darnell? If so, I would recommend that you buy one from someone who actually breeds them him or herself and can give you one which is well started and without possible health issues.

If you want to give me your email address privately (like in a profile conversation) and tell me what kind of tortoise you wish to buy next, I may be able to give you some recommendations on where to get a good specimen.
Hey! I think I am going to buy from a breeder in North Carolina. They ship tortoises. Do you think that is safe?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey! I think I am going to buy from a breeder in North Carolina. They ship tortoises. Do you think that is safe?
Hello @Natalie6628,

Shipping tortoises is relatively safe if done by an experienced shipper who has done it many times. I say relatively safe because no matter how careful the shipper may be, there is always a chance of something going wrong. Flights can be late and connections missed, animals have been left in shipping boxes on porch steps in the sun, etc., etc.

Make sure that the tortoise is shipped to you on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday to be safe. Also do not have it shipped if the temperature is over 90 degrees. It is also a good idea to have it shipped to you so it arrives on a day when you will be home to get the package directly from the driver of the delivery service. A lot of shippers now require that someone sign for the package to ensure it has been delivered safely. Most experienced shippers already know most of these things and will take precautions to protect their animals from any shipping nightmares.

Who is the breeder? Maybe I know him or her. What species of tortoise are you going to get?

Last edited: