Blue-eeyore

Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
My 5+ year old Russian tortoise lives outside in the PNW. He has thrived and has many areas of sunlight every single day and hot spots and areas where he can always stay dry. He has gone into hibernation the past few years and has done very well coming out of it, I always bring him inside when he comes out of hibernation to make sure he is healthy. Every year he starts eating almost immediately and drinking.
This year he disappeared early (September) and came out around today (February). He hasn’t been feeling well and isn’t looking good. It is still incredibly cold out but has warmed up significantly since our last snow storm and I had a gut feeling in a sunny day to go and see if he came out and he did. I know this is a long time for him being in hibernation.
He is incredibly lethargic and I introduced him back into his indoor enclosure. I soaked him after hours of him getting warmed up and moving around and cleaning around his little eyes and nose. He drank very little and then just stuck his head back into his shell and didn’t want to poke around much. He has moved around slightly but stays under the heat lamp and doesn’t move much. He will be taken into the vet soon if tonight he gets any worse.
Does any one have any tips or thoughts for a incredibly worried tortoise mom?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My 5+ year old Russian tortoise lives outside in the PNW. He has thrived and has many areas of sunlight every single day and hot spots and areas where he can always stay dry. He has gone into hibernation the past few years and has done very well coming out of it, I always bring him inside when he comes out of hibernation to make sure he is healthy. Every year he starts eating almost immediately and drinking.
This year he disappeared early (September) and came out around today (February). He hasn’t been feeling well and isn’t looking good. It is still incredibly cold out but has warmed up significantly since our last snow storm and I had a gut feeling in a sunny day to go and see if he came out and he did. I know this is a long time for him being in hibernation.
He is incredibly lethargic and I introduced him back into his indoor enclosure. I soaked him after hours of him getting warmed up and moving around and cleaning around his little eyes and nose. He drank very little and then just stuck his head back into his shell and didn’t want to poke around much. He has moved around slightly but stays under the heat lamp and doesn’t move much. He will be taken into the vet soon if tonight he gets any worse.

You say "cleaning around his little eyes and nose." What exactly is around his little eyes and nose? In the area that you live, I would not allow the tort to brumate outdoors...too wet and cold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He needs to be set up indoors in a heated enclosure until the weather warms up enough to put him back outside. He will need a good UVB light and lots of warmth. You can allow the enclosure to cool down at night to about 70-75, but it should have real warm spots during the day - 100 or so right under the light, fading to about 80-85 on one end and down to about 75 on the other end. If he moves to the cooler end, move him back over to the warm end. Once he's back up to acting like he normally did, you can allow him to go where he wants in the enclosure.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Soak him extra and be sure to keep the water warm the entire time. I know we always say to soak for any health concern but it really does help. :)

Blue-eeyore

Washington State
You say "cleaning around his little eyes and nose." What exactly is around his little eyes and nose? In the area that you live, I would not allow the tort to brumate outdoors...too wet and cold.
He has some dirt around his eyes and nose so before I soaked him I used a wet cutip and just wiped the area so it can be a bit more clearer.

TLG

Corona, CA.
I have a Russian who always wants to be outside. I’m in PSW. When it’s really cold raining I bring him in. Anyway mine hibernates as well he was gone for almost 6 months this last year, I think yours is probably just cold and will snap out of it when he’s warm again. I know mine takes a bit to get the blood moving again. Good luck with yours!