Russian tort not eating

Beads86

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi all, I changed Clives substrate out over the weekend, not the type (still orchid bark) but just to make it all fresh and clean and since he has not eaten a thing. I usually give him a mix of dandelion, kale and lettuce which he has been fine with but he won’t touch a bite now. I’ve checked all the temps and under basking it’s 33c, outside of that area, 25c and about 20c in his hide so he isn’t cold. I’ve been soaking him every morning in warm water and he is in and out of his water bowl throughout the day. He has been pooping fine up until yesterday where there was nothing but given he’s not eaten I’m not surprised. Eyes nose and mouth look fine too. How long should I wait before getting him checked out at a vet? He did this when we first got him but ate after about 5 days. We are now on day 5. Should I get him to a vet if nothing by the end of the weekend? He is still really active and been waking about 7.30-8am when his light goes on and goes to sleep anytime between 3&5pm.

Attachments

• 37ED91C8-6D40-4E65-892E-AF8F65ABCD3D.jpeg
    37ED91C8-6D40-4E65-892E-AF8F65ABCD3D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 6F3669D2-04E6-46B8-863B-A4BB723DC09F.jpeg
    6F3669D2-04E6-46B8-863B-A4BB723DC09F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Hey,
Have you been weighing him since you've had him?

Sounds like your temps are ok although 20 in the hide may be slightly low,

He could just be a bit stressed about the change of smell in the enclosure due to substrate swap but 5 days of not eating seems a bit odd.

You may also find mixing up a more varied diet for him will stimulate his appetite more...
Specially being in the UK, your surrounded by natural diet options, you just need to spend a bit of time looking and learning to ID them.

I know my Sheldon is reluctant to eat the same thing day in day out so I mix it up and it keeps him interested.

Some more ideas to try and include-

Broadleaf plantain
Ribwort plantain
Hawkbit
Ox-tongue
Ground elder
Cats ear
Nipplewort
Clover
White dead nettle
Red dead nettle
Pansies
Violets
Mallow- all types
Geraniums - all types

www.tortoisetable.org.uk

Check out this web site for a great database of plants...
Also have a search feature for custom searches but make sure your spelling is 100% or it won't find what your looking for.

Hope this helps a bit

Beads86

Uk
Hi and thanks, I haven’t been weighing him but I think I will start now. Just need to get a digital scale for this. I’ll try and pick some stuff and change it up a bit. Some of those look really similar but one is safe and then another isn’t. Need to polish up on my gardening skills clearly ?

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
? yea it takes a bit of time to build confidence in ID'ing plants... it's a skill worth learning though.

I'll take some photos later on my dog walk and add them to the thread so you've got some visual reference with names for some great daily feeders here in UK.

Also digital kitchen scales that have single gram increments are a sound investment.
Keeping track of your torts weight is a good idea. I weigh mine once a week at the moment as he's a baby still.

Last edited:

Beads86

Uk
? yea it takes a bit of time to build confidence in ID'ing plants... it's a skill worth learning though.

I'll take some photos later on my dog walk and add them to the thread so you've got some visual reference with names for some great daily feeders here in UK.

Also digital kitchen scales that have single gram increments are a sound investment.
Keeping track of your torts weight is a good idea. I weigh mine once a week at the moment as he's a baby still.
Oh that would be amazing!!! Thank you ?

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Here's a few shots of stuff I'm growing on in pots so I don't have to go wild foraging all the time but I will also grab shots of other bits as I go along to add.
The photo details should include the plant names if I've done it right ?

Attachments

• PANSIES.jpg
    PANSIES.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • BRISTLY OX-TONGUE .jpg
    BRISTLY OX-TONGUE .jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • NIPPLEWORT.jpg
    NIPPLEWORT.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210506_174253.jpg
    20210506_174253.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • CREEPING THISTLE.jpg
    CREEPING THISTLE.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • RED DEAD-NETTLE .jpg
    RED DEAD-NETTLE .jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • CATS EAR.jpg
    CATS EAR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • WILD RIBWORT PLANTAIN.jpg
    WILD RIBWORT PLANTAIN.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • CLOVER  (UNFLOWERED).jpg
    CLOVER (UNFLOWERED).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • RIBWORT PLANTAIN.jpg
    RIBWORT PLANTAIN.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • BROADLEAF PLANTAIN.jpg
    BROADLEAF PLANTAIN.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Beads86

Uk
Here's a few shots of stuff I'm growing on in pots so I don't have to go wild foraging all the time but I will also grab shots of other bits as I go along to add.
The photo details should include the plant names if I've done it right ?
You are fantastic! Thank you so much. Really, really helpful!! We have some of that growing in our front garden (crap lawn) ?

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
You are fantastic! Thank you so much. Really, really helpful!! We have some of that growing in our front garden (crap lawn) ?
No bother at all, glad to help!
It's surprising what you will come across when you start paying attention to the ground around you!
Ahh yes, the great British 'crap lawn' ???

Beads86

Uk
Well I’m pleased to report that Clive seems to be out of his mood over the changes and clean substrate and has finally started eating again this morning! Not fully back up to his previous appetite but I’m glad he is having something! Some Kale and dandelion has defo been munched down

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
That's good to hear, i'd still definitely consider increasing his diet variation but its great that he's eating again for sure... maybe start sneaking small bits of new stuff in amongst his current bits to save creeping him out ?

Beads86

Uk
That's good to hear, i'd still definitely consider increasing his diet variation but its great that he's eating again for sure... maybe start sneaking small bits of new stuff in amongst his current bits to save creeping him out ?
Yep I’m gonna start mixing it up now. Don’t want to change too much too quick though knowing what a sensitive little blighter he is now ?

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Yep I’m gonna start mixing it up now. Don’t want to change too much too quick though knowing what a sensitive little blighter he is now ?
Yep, good move... sneaky moderation is the key ? I will update the thread with more pics when I can leave the house without the risk of drowning! Hasn't stopped pi***ng down since we last spoke! Joys of living in Wales ?

Beads86

Uk
Yep, good move... sneaky moderation is the key ? I will update the thread with more pics when I can leave the house without the risk of drowning! Hasn't stopped pi***ng down since we last spoke! Joys of living in Wales ?
Same here! I’m tempted to hibernate myself! Thank you for your help. I was gonna get him to a vet if he hadn’t stopped his hunger strike over this weekend so glad he has started to nibble again. ?

Beads86

Uk
Well apart from the tiny bit he ate on Saturday he has had nothing else now for over a week so I’m getting him to the vets this pm. Hope my little dude is ok ?. There is only one vet round here that deals with exotics but they seem pretty good with them from what I’ve heard so I’ve got him registered there. I will update

Beads86

Uk
update- the vet has said there is no sign of infection or anything to be concerned about that would explain why he isn’t eating. They are going to check his poop for parasites and said to give him some critical care solution and keep putting his food out. If he won’t take the solution then give it another week and if still nothing they will do some further investigation