Russian Tort Abscess

CassandraSue

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, Ma
Me again! My Russian tort seems to be doing well after surgery for an abscess on his throat. The vet says it's in a tough location, and she was unable to extract everything during surgery. We've been on a regimen of antibiotic injections, topical drops and cream.

We went for a checkup today and she says that although he seems to be doing well, and the wound is healing nicely, there is still a lump and the abscess is likely to recur once we are done with antibiotics (in a couple of months). In that case, we'd need another surgery.

So, my questions are: Do abscesses ever just not recur? And also, not for nothing, if surgery was the treatment and it didn't work the first time, why would it work the second time?

I want him to be well, but giving him surgery every few months doesn't sound like a solution. Is there any hope here?

(My tort, Leafy, is likely approx 15, but unsure of exact age. I've had him for 8 years.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My guess is you'd have to discover the reason behind getting it in the first place and fix that. An abscess is a bacterial infection. Not all antibiotics kill bacterial infections. Ask my friend, Google, what kills bacterial infections and if the abscess comes back try some 'cures' shown in the Google research. Honey is one.