alyssa_rosa

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello everyone!

My tortoise had a nasty abscess on her throat. I went to take her in and the vet has removed it yesterday. The overall cost for everything (sedation, pain meds (3 were given to me), ward care, the removal of the abscess, everything absolutely necessary) was $355.

It was pricey but I knew it was necessary and I didn’t want to spend more money by taking her to multiple vets to get a full price analysis so I just hadn’t it done there at that cost.

My question is if this is an abnormal price and if anyone knows where this can be done cheaper in southern CA if I ever need this in the future since after this happened I learned this is a common thing for reptiles (God forbid my poor tort will ever will have to deal with that again but I figure better to find out more info now)

Also I know it is probably good for me to say the price I paid to help out others too.

Please and thank you for your help

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I've never had to take mine in for any type of surgery, but that price doesn't out of line to me. Probably charge more in my area since those kind of vets are few and far between.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That seems pretty high to me. They always charge for the initial exotic exam, somewhere around $100, then to do the lancing seems ought to be $50 to $75. Then medication. Was this an ear abscess - on the side of his head?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
not long ago I had a blanding's turtle with two ear abscesses done , the exam was $65 , the sedation(telazol) was $15 , the antbiotics (4 injections fortaz) $50 , cleanout the abscesses and pack with antibiotic gel $53 , shot of pain med (onsior) $17 ….. bill was $200.82 , that's in ohio …..

alyssa_rosa

CA
That seems pretty high to me. They always charge for the initial exotic exam, somewhere around $100, then to do the lancing seems ought to be $50 to $75. Then medication. Was this an ear abscess - on the side of his head?
It was on her throat

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
not long ago I had a blanding's turtle with two ear abscesses done , the exam was $65 , the sedation(telazol) was $15 , the antbiotics (4 injections fortaz) $50 , cleanout the abscesses and pack with antibiotic gel $53 , shot of pain med (onsior) $17 ….. bill was $200.82 , that's in ohio …..
very interesting. Maybe your vet has friends throughout our state.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'm pretty sure everything in ohio is less expensive than California ……. anyone in need of a reptile vet I would suggest asking the local zoo or aquarium , your dog or cat vet , vets know other vets in the area , or a local reptile dealer …. it's what has worked for me ….

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i'm pretty sure everything in ohio is less expensive than California ……. anyone in need of a reptile vet I would suggest asking the local zoo or aquarium , your dog or cat vet , vets know other vets in the area , or a local reptile dealer …. it's what has worked for me ….
Even our new pet shops have to take their reptiles a long stressful days trip for a vet visit. I have an exotic animal vet but he hasn't done a beak trim yet. I'm hoping he'll do some extra studies because he is affiliated with one of those new pet shops. So we can have a reptile vet in our town. He gave me a few names but it's that trip that bothers me in the dead of winter. I'll try them in the spring if I can't talk him into it.etc So far I've not needed a vet for my tortoise.