Russian subspecies with high domed carapace

Future4Animals

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, il
Does Anybody have a really domed Russian tortoise? Out of my group of 10. I have this really domed female. She is much more narrow than any of the others. The pictures are not doing the dome part justice. She also has this interesting leopard pattern on the shell.

I know there are three subspecies and they are difficult to tell apart. I've seen a lot of Russians over the years. And this particular female seems much different. According to the one link below, appears to be a T.h.rustamovi. Have you come across any?

3 main subspecies :
T. h. horsfieldii (T. h. h.)
T. h. kazachstanica (T. h. k.)
T. h. rustamovi (T. h. r.)

20210329_123009.jpg

20210329_122112.jpg

20210329_124312.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

I live with four Russians, all of them rescues of one sort or another; I believe there are representatives of each of the three main sub-species contained in my creep.

chili.jpg
Chili, the male, is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii horsfieldii, which are known for being domed and nearly as wide as they are long.

persephone.jpg
Persephone, the first of the females that came to live with me, is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii kazachstanica, which are known for being flat and nearly as wide as they are long.

Wilhelmina.jpg
Wilhelmina is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii rustamovi, which are known for being domed and longer than they are wide.

bertha.jpg
Bertha is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii rustamovi, which are known for being domed and longer than they are wide.

I'm interested in having them breed, but to date, Chili has only shown any interest in Persephone. My plan is to arrange for separate "dates" between Chili and each of the females throughout the summer and hope for the best.

Chili was an old man when I got him and lived under dramatically sub-optimal conditions for twenty years before coming to live with me, so although he seems interested in mating, he may not be able to fertilize the ladies.

Jamie

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello,

I live with four Russians, all of them rescues of one sort or another; I believe there are representatives of each of the three main sub-species contained in my creep.

View attachment 322097
Chili, the male, is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii horsfieldii, which are known for being domed and nearly as wide as they are long.

View attachment 322098
Persephone, the first of the females that came to live with me, is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii kazachstanica, which are known for being flat and nearly as wide as they are long.

View attachment 322099
Wilhelmina is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii rustamovi, which are known for being domed and longer than they are wide.

View attachment 322100
Bertha is of the sub-species Testudo horsfieldii rustamovi, which are known for being domed and longer than they are wide.

I'm interested in having them breed, but to date, Chili has only shown any interest in Persephone. My plan is to arrange for separate "dates" between Chili and each of the females throughout the summer and hope for the best.

Chili was an old man when I got him and lived under dramatically sub-optimal conditions for twenty years before coming to live with me, so although he seems interested in mating, he may not be able to fertilize the ladies.

Jamie
Ok, did you have to put the food up there on Persephone like a food tray to tempt Chili to do the wild thing, or does he willingly try? She didn't look like she minded it all that much.

Are the other girls quite as big as Persephone? He might be a little more successful if the other 2 are smaller. Size isn't everything, but.....

This is all sweet in some kind of dated way.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Ok, did you have to put the food up there on Persephone like a food tray to tempt Chili to do the wild thing, or does he willingly try? She didn't look like she minded it all that much.

Are the other girls quite as big as Persephone? He might be a little more successful if the other 2 are smaller. Size isn't everything, but.....

This is all sweet in some kind of dated way.
Chili brought that snack with him to the party and put it up there on his own (presumably to help him keep his strength up).

The other two ladies are smaller than Persephone... one (Wilhelmina) just a bit, and the other (Bertha) a few hundred grams.

Fingers crossed for them all!

Jamie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I wondered about that with my little Russian. He's as wide as he is long and domed. So I guess horsefeildi horsefeildi. Kinda like Chili only not as lucky for now ?