Not open for further replies.

TOK DADDY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: Russian Subspecies

Stephanie Logan said:
maggie3fan said:
Those Welch's glasses are SO collectible...to see one under a tortoise makes me cringe..:p

Is it OK to laugh at a picture of a tortoise that is high-centered on a jelly glass? I immediately thought of Bob and his water dish...:D

Seriously....they look the same to me. Are they all considered Russians or are they really different species?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

No...these are all pictures of Russian tortoises. But in the Russian species there are these different sub-species.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon

I'm sorry but I can't see the differencese either. They all look like they're one inch longer then wide on all the sub-species. I keep coming here to see what my russians are and I just don't see the differense in these pictures.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

So basically...
#1 Circle; domed
#2 Oval; domed
#3 Circle; flat
;)

If I posted a picture could you tell what Nelson is, or is he too young? He's only ~15 months old.

LoneStarTortoise

10 Year Member!

now... can you help me with this girl? I can get better pics but these are the two I have on hand.

Her head is massive in relation to most I have seen, I will try and get you more pictures today.

I should add that there she is solid and growing like a weed, and outpacing all the others that were purchased from the same person at the same time.

Thanks in advance,

Christopher:tort:

Attachments

• russian 1.JPG
    russian 1.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 169
  • russian 2.JPG
    russian 2.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 152

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain

Thanks Danny,
You learn something new every day! I recognised the first and the last, I honsely didnt know about the second one,
Its great being able to share amongst us all,

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

If she is domed, than she is T.h.horsfieldii. If she is flat topped, than she is T.h.kazachstanica.

Danny

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain

I have a Russian tort, she is a female and I think she is a T, horsefeldii kazachstanica,
The thing is she has a vertebral scute to many,:tort:

Any ideas?
Danny?:p

I will post pics as soon as, and also if someone can confirm ID.

Thank you xx;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

Say, isn't there supposed to be a fourth Russian tortoise subspecies: Testudo horsfieldi baluchiorum? Or is that no longer considered valid? If there is a fourth subspecies, how do they differ in appearance from these other three?

babylove6635

5 Year Member

torts  measure 018.JPG#1torts  measure 019.JPG#1torts  measure 017.JPG #1ok so mine are?

torts  measure 020.JPG#2torts  measure 021.JPG#2torts  measure 022.JPG#2torts  measure 023.JPG#3torts  measure 024.JPG#3torts  measure 018.JPG#1torts  measure 019.JPG#1torts  measure 017.JPG #1ok so mine are?

Last edited by a moderator:

ssha_miami

5 Year Member
Its so surprising most Russian tortoise are caught from wild. Hundreds of pet store in the US...need to catch thousands each year

HelloBella

5 Year Member
North of England
This is such a useful thread! Thanks for posting :) I've been trying to figure out what my Bella is - she is the body shape of the T. h. rustamovi but unlike the tort in that photo, her black on yellow/green markings are quite distinct, more similar to the kazachstania - is cross-breeding quite common? I imagine it is. I got her at 6 years old and I think her previous owner got her from a pet shop as a hatchling.

- here are some better photos than those I originally posted:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=36642
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=36644
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=36643

Regarding the last one - does her shell look normal? My only ther experience was with a spur-thigh and hers was much smoother, but she was much older (in her 50s) and had lived outside all her life.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 309995_10152428692520332_519267504_n.jpg
    309995_10152428692520332_519267504_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.