Russian Outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineapple

5 Year Member
Adjustment period?

Got my one year old Russian Tortoise named "pineapple" about two weeks ago. This tort is spoiled and has everything it could need/want in its enclosure (two hideouts in different temps, shallow water dish, fresh food daily, cuttle bone, coconut and reptile bark mixed bedding). Temp is 75-80 on cool side/ 90-92 in basking area. No UV light bc I take him out frequently.
The problem is that pineapple doesn't do anything in his/her enclosure except for burrow and sleep. I take him out everyother day to an outdoor enclosure with food and he perks right up, eats, poops and walks around. He seems really happy outdoors but it is going to get relatively cold her in Tucson, AZ soon. The outdoor enclosure is half the size of the indoor one!
Any advice on how to make my tort more active indoors?

pineapple

5 Year Member
Live in Tucson,AZ and have a 1 year old Russian Tortoise. We currently are experiencing a high of 85/90 in the day and a low of 55/60 at night. With these temps can I keep my Russian Tortoise in an outdoor enclosure all the time? If so, at what min temp do I need to start bringing him inside? Do I need to have a heat lamp outdoors?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Pineapple!

I usually leave my steppe tortoises outside until it looks like its going to rain. Since yours is still pretty young, maybe it would be a good idea to bring him inside when the night time temps get down to around 60F.

pineapple

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. What should I use to cover the outdoor area so he still gets sun but doesn't get eaten by a bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.