Russian outdoors in Ireland?

Sandyboi

5 Year Member
Hey all, I have a Russian tortoise named Sandy who's at least 8 years old now(unsure of his age when I bought him). His current enclosure is a tortoise table and I can see it's too small for him. I really want to build him a permanent outdoor enclosure, but I'm worried about the temperatures and weather as I live in Ireland. Even on the hottest days, he usually only runs around for about 30 minutes before he gets too cold and buries himself. Is there something I can do? I don't have the indoor space for an 8x4 viv but I'm doubtful that Sandy would thrive outdoors in this climate. Does anyone here have outdoor Russians in the uk/Ireland? Thanks in advance!

marginata_paul

Hey, I'm in Ireland and when I kept tortoises they would be outdoors most days from June to September when warm.
Would you consider a greenhouse/ pollytunnel or cold frame?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Build a heated nightbox to extend the available days

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi - looks like there's been a bit of a delay in getting responses. Hopefully you found some answers on the forum, but if not this was written by UK member and may help you. Her tort was a Greek but care is basically the same.

This is the care sheet you need in case you haven't found it
Hope your tort is doing well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, I have a Russian tortoise named Sandy who's at least 8 years old now(unsure of his age when I bought him). His current enclosure is a tortoise table and I can see it's too small for him. I really want to build him a permanent outdoor enclosure, but I'm worried about the temperatures and weather as I live in Ireland. Even on the hottest days, he usually only runs around for about 30 minutes before he gets too cold and buries himself. Is there something I can do? I don't have the indoor space for an 8x4 viv but I'm doubtful that Sandy would thrive outdoors in this climate. Does anyone here have outdoor Russians in the uk/Ireland? Thanks in advance!
For any reason, if you cannot provide an animals with what it needs, find it a new home with someone who can.