Russian not eating or opening eyes

Hp4Gordo

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston
In the meantime, until you get the new bulb, turn off the one you've been using.

Your Russian will be fine without UVB for a few days.

In fact, if you can take him outside for an hour, two or three x/week, you don't need indoor UVB at all.

You say you're in Charleston...which one? South Carolina or West Virginia? Or Tennessee or Illinois, or Oregon? ?
SC : ). Unfortunately, no sunshine for a few days due to storms but I did order his new UVB today and HE HAS OPENED HIS EYES!

Hp4Gordo

Charleston
He has taken in some of the carrot bath each morning. Still hasn’t eaten any of his solid veggies (offering Romain, collards, squash and zucchini) but is increasingly active and staying awake/burying less. Thanks so much for all of the feedback - especially the warning that UVB, Toddrickfl1!

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
You need to read our/forums caresheets. We have the updated correct care. Others do not in most if not all cases.
I gotta go with @wellington on this one. The care sheets on here are great and very very helpful.

Have double checked the Tortoise Protection Group and the Tortoise Table official care sheets and sites. For Horsfields (Russian) they do not do well at all in tanks or vivariums. They do best in tortoise tables and need less humidity than other species. Have also spoken to vets who agree. Here is an extract from the tortoise table care sheet.

View attachment 307482
This is a prime example of the misinformation that is put out on the web and is given in pet stores.
Yikes!!!

Hp4Gordo

Charleston
I gotta go with @wellington on this one. The care sheets on here are great and very very helpful.

This is a prime example of the misinformation that is put out on the web and is given in pet stores.
Yikes!!!
I know there is A LOT of junk info out there. I had to dig through it before I found you guys. No idea how I finally made it here but beyond lucky we did. This forum/site will literally save his life.

Hp4Gordo

Charleston
Hey everybody, it has been a while and I hope that all of you and your torts are doing great!

I have another question about lighting. If you look back at the beginning of this thread, you will see that I threw out the coiled reptisun uvb and replaced it with a t5, which is working fine. I still have a dual deep dome but am only using one side for the basking light.

That being said, I am wondering what your thoughts are on the Powersun H.I.D. or Powersun UV as all-in-one options rather than the separate tube and deep dome lights? Like I said, I am only using one side of the dome and if I can simplify things on top (replace the tube and the dual dome with one fixture), I would like to do that.

If you don’t think it is a good idea to go with just the one bulb for everything, should I still swap out the regular basking light for a heating bulb that also offers UV or would that be overdoing it in conjunction with the tube light?

Last thing, if you wind up recommending that I keep the dual deep dome and the t5 as I currently have it, do you have any recommended uses for the extra socket in the dome?

Thanks as always for your help, feedbackexperience!