Russian likes to climb??

catherineannaraye

Location (City and/or State)
Woodbridge
I've had my russian guy since February, and about 2 months ago. We added a rock cave like structure to his tank. This guy has tried day in and day out to climb to the top! Falling down every time...
So I moved a few things around and he has spent ALL day going back and forth, up and down!

Is my little dude an odd one? Or do all Russians like to climb?
He likes to burrow too. But has spent the last 2 days (since I added the bridge) going back and forth, up and down to the top of the rock.
20200811_162754.jpg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
All russians like to climb and dig. Looks like you have a too small enclosure for him, he probably is trying to escape. He needs at least 8ft by 4ft of space. That ramped bowl is dangerous for him, tortoises have been known to flip over and drown in them, mine almost did. I would replace it with a shallow, cheap, terra cotta saucer. Read this care sheet carefully, it will tell you everything you need to know...

catherineannaraye

Woodbridge
Thank you
And we don't put water in that dish, i take him out to soak him in a shallow container. Thats usually where we put his food, but he decided today that he wanted to climb in and out if there too lol

I will look into a larger terrarium for him

All russians like to climb and dig. Looks like you have a too small enclosure for him, he probably is trying to escape. He needs at least 8ft by 4ft of space. That ramped bowl is dangerous for him, tortoises have been known to flip over and drown in them, mine almost did. I would replace it with a shallow, cheap, terra cotta saucer. Read this care sheet carefully, it will tell you everything you need to know...

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Thank you
And we don't put water in that dish, i take him out to soak him in a shallow container. Thats usually where we put his food, but he decided today that he wanted to climb in and out if there too lol

I will look into a larger terrarium for him
There are no terrariums that are that big. I would suggest building you own for him. I would still replace that bowl, he could flip over just the same and overheat, or could die from the weight crushing his lungs.

greektortlover

5 Year Member
Tortoises cannot see glass as well. So being in there is stressing him as well. He needs a solid non see through barrier all around him.

greektortlover

5 Year Member
Actually that's not true, tortoises normally climb and scratch when their enclosure is too small, especially if they are wild caught

Yes, I agree 100% with you.

I am saying, IN ADDITION, that they are stressed by the glass as well. And it is true.