Russian in Dallas, TX - Can they live outside full time?

taykoosh

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
Hello TortoiseForum!

I'm new to the forum and am so pleased there's a site like this with so many knowledgeable and kind tortoise-loving folks!

My fiancé and I are moving to Dallas soon and we would like to adopt a tortoise. I had a Russian growing up and I just LOVED her: she had tons of personality and made a wonderful pet. When I was young, we kept her in an indoor enclosure year-round. I realize now that this is not at all ideal, and I'd very much like to keep our tortoise outside with plenty of room to roam, bask and graze.

I'm unsure, however, if Dallas will be a temperate enough climate for a little Russian to be happy year-round. Can it be made to work if she has a heated box outdoors she can retreat to at night? Our yard will be a small, fenced patio, but should have good space still for digging and grazing, and room enough for a private enclosure for her as well.

I'm open also to other species of tortoises if someone can recommend another kind that would do well in the Dallas climate? I know there's lots of love for sulcutas, but I think their size would become too much for us!!

Any advice or previous threads you could link would be so appreciated! Thanks folks!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello TortoiseForum!

I'm new to the forum and am so pleased there's a site like this with so many knowledgeable and kind tortoise-loving folks!

My fiancé and I are moving to Dallas soon and we would like to adopt a tortoise. I had a Russian growing up and I just LOVED her: she had tons of personality and made a wonderful pet. When I was young, we kept her in an indoor enclosure year-round. I realize now that this is not at all ideal, and I'd very much like to keep our tortoise outside with plenty of room to roam, bask and graze.

I'm unsure, however, if Dallas will be a temperate enough climate for a little Russian to be happy year-round. Can it be made to work if she has a heated box outdoors she can retreat to at night? Our yard will be a small, fenced patio, but should have good space still for digging and grazing, and room enough for a private enclosure for her as well.

I'm open also to other species of tortoises if someone can recommend another kind that would do well in the Dallas climate? I know there's lots of love for sulcutas, but I think their size would become too much for us!!

Any advice or previous threads you could link would be so appreciated! Thanks folks!
I have a red foot tort--my only tort. But I wanted to say Welcome to the Forum!! It is a 4-day holiday weekend, but i'm sure some Russian tort owners will chime in very soon.

It's great that you're planning in advance!! I haven't figured out linking on my cell phone, but there are care sheets on the Russian tort section. Recommendations for living conditions & food sources may have changed since you last owned a tort. So read & ask lots of questions. Welcome!!

taykoosh

Dallas
I have a red foot tort--my only tort. But I wanted to say Welcome to the Forum!! It is a 4-day holiday weekend, but i'm sure some Russian tort owners will chime in very soon.

It's great that you're planning in advance!! I haven't figured out linking on my cell phone, but there are care sheets on the Russian tort section. Recommendations for living conditions & food sources may have changed since you last owned a tort. So read & ask lots of questions. Welcome!!
Hi Jan! Thanks so much. :) I had looked into Redfoots for myself, but I don't think I'd be able to provide it with the sort of tropical environment it needs. I'm now thinking a Western Hermann's might be a better option for me and will look at the threads for them as well. Essentially, I'd like to get a tortoise who's natural environment is closest to what I can provide. I just want my little friend to have a happy and healthy life!

taykoosh

Dallas
Hi Jan! Thanks so much. :) I had looked into Redfoots for myself, but I don't think I'd be able to provide it with the sort of tropical environment it needs. I'm now thinking a Western Hermann's might be a better option for me and will look at the threads for them as well. Essentially, I'd like to get a tortoise who's natural environment is closest to what I can provide. I just want my little friend to have a happy and healthy life!
**Eastern Hermann :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hello TortoiseForum!

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Dallas absolutely would work for keeping a Russian tortoise outdoors full time in a proper set-up. We live just 5hrs drive East of you, I posted about my new outdoor setup a little while ago, if you'd like to see. You will need a French drain to prevent flooding. You will need to provide deep shade in the summer (I wrote a post about that too a long time ago, it's pinned in the 'enclosure' part of the forum). And in Spring and Fall, you'll need to provide supplemental heat. Having a heated house, or a little greenhouse with a thermostat and heating would be good. Inkbird ITC308 works well as a thermostat, or the Hydrofarm Jump Start.
The bigger you can make your outdoor enclosure, the better. I made mine 10'x10' and wish I had gone bigger. I plan to enlarge in a couple years. Plant it with tortoise safe weeds and greens, there are some good seed mixes available.

One thing you may encounter is that it doesn't get quite cold enough in Dallas for a real brumation (hibernation). Over here in Central AR I have to brumate my RTs in the refrigerator for 3-4 months during the winter. It needs to be 37-41 degrees for their bodies to shut down enough to conserve energy and not lose weight.

One final point: be careful where you get your tortoise from. If you want an adult, I recommend sourcing it from a reputable rescue. If you want a baby to raise, research baby care (there are several articles pinned above) and research good breeders. There are several good breeders here in the forum. RT babies start hatching in May, and you can often choose the exact baby you want. Ask questions, make sure the breeder starts the baby humid with a warm humid hide, daily soaks, good diet of weeds and greens. DO NOT get your tortoise from Petco or PetSmart... They sell wild caught tortoises that they lie about the source. The lie that a 4" wild caught tortoise is a 6month old captive bred baby. And the wild caught tortoises come in with heavy worm loads, giardia, coccidiosis, and other fun things that need to be addressed by a reptile vet. Any money you save in comparison to getting a true captive bred tortoise will end up being spent on vet bills for the wild caught one...