Russian in a City Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwire

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people think about keeping a Russian Tortoise in a city apartment. I live in Brooklyn and have a male Russian tortoise who is about five years old. Many of the sources that I've read have strongly recommended, or even insisted on, keeping a Russian Tortoise outside during the warm months. Unfortunately, I live on the second floor and don't have access to any outdoor area where I could keep him. I do make a point of letting him roam around the apartment every morning while I'm getting ready for work, but I'm wondering if this is enough.

The rest of the time, he lives in a 54-gallon Rubbermaid tub (with the proper substrate, lighting, heating, etc.) and he seems extremely bored then. Once I put him back in his enclosure, he'll usually go right under his half-log and spend most of the day just sitting there. He is about six inches long now, and it is time to find a bigger enclosure for him. My apartment is fairly big by NYC standards (that's not saying much, I know) and I should be able to accommodate a sufficiently large enclosure, but I'm still wondering if he really should be in a house with a yard where he can spend the warm spring and summer months.

I'm curious what others in the forums think. Should I sell him to someone in a non-urban setting? My ex-girlfriend gave him to me as a Christmas present two years ago. She was eccentric and liked giving unusual gifts. I really like the little guy, but I don't want to keep him in an environment that is not ideal.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I'm not an experienced owner at all, but I'm also in New York, Manhattan, and I have had my tortoise for about 5 years (in the city for about a month) although I don't know her age. Of course it's ideal to keep them outside as long as the climate allows but I don't think only people in warm climate regions should keep them. If you really love having him then a bigger enclosure is a great idea, I'm just about to build a 6'X3' table for my 6" girl. I plan on getting some nice seed mix to try to grow some grass in the enclosure along with adding some plants.
When I go to my parents' place on Long Island for some of the summer she's going to go, I have an enclosure for her in the backyard with lots of dandelions and other weeds and grasses but here in my apartment I'm just making sure to do as much right as possible, I have an MVB bulb on the way and I have her eating spring mix base rotating through other greens every week or so in addition to that.
It's great that you came here for advice, if you want to try keeping him the people on this forum are knowledgeable and friendly; they've helped me tons since I've been here.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
I keep mine indoors, I might have the potential to have a part time out next summer. However I just give them large cages, with tons of lights and good temperatures. Interesting landscaping to encourage roaming.
I got a russian because I live in apartments and their size is ideal for the space requirements I can offer.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
You may be seeing more activity out of your tort when you put him on the apartment floor because it's a relatively large unfamiliar area and he's nervous. This can make them move around a lot more and appear to be more "excited". I had a russian that I once got from this lady who told me that he loved to swim. She would toss him in the bathtub for up to an hour and since he was so active she assumed that he was having so much fun. In reality, he was scared for his life and couldn't stop moving or he'd have drowned.

Hmmm, that might have come out wrong because I don't think your tort is actually worried for his life, but he may be worried about his safety being in the big open non-natural looking world and not knowing where to hide and what to do. This would also explain why once he's back in his familiar place he goes directly to a hide to destress.

I agree with what others have said about offering a bigger enclosure such as a tort table. They only can benefit from a larger regular area to roam and call home. Another thought I had was that you could build a smaller outside enclosure on your balcony for the summer months if you have the space for it. That way you can still provide some outdoor time every day or whenever you are able to put him out there for a little bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The main reason we tell you to put your tortoise outside isn't for the exercise...its for the sunshine and their mental well-being. Walking around on a cold apartment floor is nowhere near the same thing as being outside and enjoying the sun. Do you have a balcony?

Welcome to the forum!!

redwire

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for your replies, everyone! Unfortunately, I don't have a balcony. All that I have is a fire escape, and of course keeping my tortoise out there is not an option.

Hmmm, that might have come out wrong because I don't think your tort is actually worried for his life, but he may be worried about his safety being in the big open non-natural looking world and not knowing where to hide and what to do. This would also explain why once he's back in his familiar place he goes directly to a hide to destress.

Thanks for this insight, PeanutbuttER. I just assumed that he enjoyed roaming the apartment and taking advantage of the open space, but it didn't occur to me that this might be a stressful experience for him. Do you recommend that I stop taking him out to walk around?

I will definitely invest in a larger enclosure. What do people think about the ZooMed Tortoise House?

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=245&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=3

I'm thinking of getting two and connected them end-to-end. They are pretty expensive, and I would love to go the DIY route, but even minor construction projects are a PITA since I don't have a power saw or a car for transporting materials.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Personally, if I were you I'd let him be in his enclosure and not on the floor. I agree with emysemys that he doesn't need the exercise. However, if it's you wanting to get him out and spend time with him for a little bit then that's fine.

You asked, so I'll tell you. I'm honestly not all that impressed with them. Yes they're nice, but they're just far too expensive for my tastes. If money weren't involved, then yes putting two of them together would be okay. If I understand it right then you'd have a 6x2 enclosure right? They're like $100 each (with shipping) aren't they though? I haven't priced them out.

Since you don't want to go the construction DIY route, maybe you'd be interested in converting an old bookshelf from craigslist. You just take the bookshelf and sit it on its back, then line it with something he can't dig through. You would maybe need scissors or a razor blade to cut the liner is all. Then you'd just glue it in with silicone (they make single-use tubes so you could buy a couple of those and not have to worry about tools.) Should be doable, and likely for less than the cost of a single zoomed house.

Status
Not open for further replies.