Russian hatchling urine is clear...is this normal?

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, Nebraska
I happened to be watching my Russian hatchlings when one of them urinated. I was surprised to see that it was a clear liquid rather than the white paste-like urates that I've seen previously.

This made me think a little and I honestly can't remember the last time I found any white urates in their enclosure, which makes me wonder if they are all urinating a clear liquid.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there some vitamin deficiency or possible illness that would result this change in their urine?

I'm doing the best I can to learn as much as possible as fast as possible, but I'm still quite new to tortoise ownership. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Urates are a concentrated form of urine. If they are well hydrated, no need to conserve water and concentrate the urine, so the urine will be a clear liquid. Its a sign that your tortoises are well hydrated.

Omaha, Nebraska
Urates are a concentrated form of urine. If they are well hydrated, no need to conserve water and concentrate the urine, so the urine will be a clear liquid. Its a sign that your tortoises are well hydrated.

You mean I actually did something right? That's quite a shock...lol.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. It's good to know that it's not one more thing I've done wrong!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
You mean I actually did something right? That's quite a shock...lol.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. It's good to know that it's not one more thing I've done wrong!
You know, I had the exact same concern when I saw clear pee almost a year ago. I want to congratulate you on having hydrated torts, keep it up!:)