Russian food choices from my yard.

sspargur

Location (City and/or State)
West Valley City, UT
Greetings,

I have a new Russian hatchling purchased from Randy at Tortstork recently. We have a few berry bushes/fruit trees growing on our property and I would like input on what's going to be safe or not to feed the tort. Here is what we have:

Grape leaves - I've read these are good up to a few times per week. Personal experiences?
Raspberry leaves
Blackberry leaves
Walnut leaves
Apple leaves
Peach leaves

Thanks for your input in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greetings,

I have a new Russian hatchling purchased from Randy at Tortstork recently. We have a few berry bushes/fruit trees growing on our property and I would like input on what's going to be safe or not to feed the tort. Here is what we have:

Grape leaves - I've read these are good up to a few times per week. Personal experiences?
Raspberry leaves
Blackberry leaves
Walnut leaves
Apple leaves
Peach leaves

Thanks for your input in advance!
Yes on the grape leaves. Excellent tortoise food.

Definite no on the walnut, apple and peach. No citrus tree leaves either.

I think raspberry leaves are good, and I don't know about blackberry. @Kapidolo Farms will know.

Here is the correct care info. Lots of food suggestions here:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yes on the grape leaves. Excellent tortoise food.

Definite no on the walnut, apple and peach. No citrus tree leaves either.

I think raspberry leaves are good, and I don't know about blackberry. @Kapidolo Farms will know.

Here is the correct care info. Lots of food suggestions here:
Raspberry and blackberry leaves both are considered moderate feeds by TTT https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk...ords&searchtxt=raspberry&x=0&y=0#.YLUcKKlKgTU

as they have tannins. I suspect that is a caution based on making them occasional feed. Tortoises may well eat it because of the tannins, tannins are toxic to intestinal worms. A self medication matter.

As long as it's free choice and or mixed in once a week or so, the tortoise can not eat it and be okay. I have found that redfoods like it a great deal, and will eat little stacks of the raspberry when on the food tile sitting by itself. Redfoots are an anomaly with diet. I know this is a Russian post. They are weird Testudo in diet preferences.

Here are some nutrient values for blackberry mixed in with other forages.

Last edited:

sspargur

West Valley City, UT
Thanks all - I found the Tortoise Table app and downloaded it for any consumption questions I have. I appreciated the responses!