Russian babies

crane

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
Hi everyone,

New to the form here. I have 7 Russians, four females and 3 males. The larges female had 3 babies, I am wondering how to care for them. She had a total of four several years ago and all died. I keep the 4 inside and used a good earth substrate,UV lamp and had a water dish. I am thinking about leaving these new babies out side to see what happens.

What can I do to prevent these new hatchlings from meeting the same fate?

Thanks,

doug

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Doug and welcome to the Forum!

How lucky you are to have your Russians breed and lay viable eggs. I've been keeping Russians for a very long time and have minimal success. You need to gather up the babies and set them up indoors in a nice, big, covered enclosure. Dehydration is a very real threat to these young creatures, because of the desiccating lights we have over them to keep them warm. That's why I've gone to using the tube type fluorescent UVB bulbs now for baby tortoises (I have leopards and desert tortoises). Daily place your babies in a bowl of warm water, not too deep, just up to the middle of their sides. Please read the care sheet T smart posted the link to. It specifically talks about setting up BABY russian tortoises and will help you with feeding, etc.

I'd love to see pictures of these precious little guys. And good luck with them.

crane

Long Beach, CA
Give this a read!

Baby Russian Tortoise care sheet (also for other herbivorous tortoise species)
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Baby-Russian-Tortoise-care-sheet-(also-for-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species).107734/

I wouldn’t suggest leaving them out. Too much can go wrong. Short supervised excursions outside are fine, but the majority of their time should be indoors.
Thanks, just read the beginner-mistakes you suggested. I did make those the last time. No, I have not soaked them. We just found them in the area where i keep the adults yesterday. I will do so quickly though. I have my work cut out for me today.

crane

Long Beach, CA
Here is the care info for Russians. Outside all day is bad for them when they are babies. Soil is not a good substrate. UV is good, but you have to use the right kind, and they also need a basking lamp for heat. Are you soaking daily? Got a humid hide? Damp substrate?
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Thanks Tom,

I will get going what you suggested right away. I did make many mistakes with the last 4 that we had, sorry to say.

crane

Long Beach, CA
Hi Doug and welcome to the Forum!

How lucky you are to have your Russians breed and lay viable eggs. I've been keeping Russians for a very long time and have minimal success. You need to gather up the babies and set them up indoors in a nice, big, covered enclosure. Dehydration is a very real threat to these young creatures, because of the desiccating lights we have over them to keep them warm. That's why I've gone to using the tube type fluorescent UVB bulbs now for baby tortoises (I have leopards and desert tortoises). Daily place your babies in a bowl of warm water, not too deep, just up to the middle of their sides. Please read the care sheet T smart posted the link to. It specifically talks about setting up BABY russian tortoises and will help you with feeding, etc.

I'd love to see pictures of these precious little guys. And good luck with them.

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I will get going with what you, Tom and T Smart have suggested.

Thanks to all 3 of you for your quick reply to my situation. I will take some pictures and post them.