Russian ate a small piece of... concrete?

Bartlebie

Location (City and/or State)
Helotes
While my Russian was out roaming the yard, he sometimes like to pick at the vines and plants on the ground. Today he decided he wanted to try something new I guess, because I wasn't fast enough to stop him from eating a small rock, that I think was a broken off piece of concrete. It was probably the size of my pinky fingernail, maybe slightly smaller.

It wasn't green! I feel so bad that I couldn't get it out of his mouth in time. Should I be worried?

zovick

10 Year Member!
While my Russian was out roaming the yard, he sometimes like to pick at the vines and plants on the ground. Today he decided he wanted to try something new I guess, because I wasn't fast enough to stop him from eating a small rock, that I think was a broken off piece of concrete. It was probably the size of my pinky fingernail, maybe slightly smaller.

It wasn't green! I feel so bad that I couldn't get it out of his mouth in time. Should I be worried?
The piece will probably pass right through the tortoise's digestive tract. I wouldn't worry unless it stops eating and begins acting abnormally lethargic in the next week or so.

Bartlebie

Helotes
The piece will probably pass right through the tortoise's digestive tract. I wouldn't worry unless it stops eating and begins acting abnormally lethargic in the next week or so.
I really appreciate the fast response. In the case he does stop eating and get lethargic, is there something to be done or is that an instant trip to the vet?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure if it was just a small piece you have no concerns. Torts out in the wild I’m sure pick up and eat a few stones. Ive seen our Sully do the same. You could make sure your guy is well hydrated and feed some extra mushy moist foods.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You should re-examine what you are feeding. This sort of rock eating behavior is typical when the diet is lacking fiber, calcium, or when there is a mineral imbalance from too much calcium.

Do you feed mostly grocery store greens? Spring mix? What is your supplement routine?

Bartlebie

Helotes
yeah mostly grocery store greens. My wife does the feeding, so I'll have to get specifics from her. But we also have a small garden and he occasionally gets some things out of there. When he wanders around the yard there is a specific vine he likes to go find and he'll eat some of that too. He has one of those cuttle fish bones, but rarely uses it. We have a ton of vegetation outside, but I'm hesitant to give him grasses and plants from the yard as I don't know what is safe. I believe she adds a tortoise supplement to the food like once a week or every other week (probably need to do that more often)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the caresheet you need for your tort which will advise about diet etc.

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods. Mainly based on UK plants but I'm sure you'll have some in common.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I really appreciate the fast response. In the case he does stop eating and get lethargic, is there something to be done or is that an instant trip to the vet?
If the tortoise stops eating and becomes lethargic, you should take it to the vet as soon as possible and have an X-ray taken. Then you can intelligently discuss treatment options if the piece is lodged in the gut somewhere.