Russian’s vision not good after hibernation

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
My husband purchased a doohickey (sorry for lack of clarity) at a restaurant supply store that is normally used for walk-in fridges; it ensures the fridge's temperature is kept within a specific range--separate from the thermometer mechanism already in the fridge. Ours keeps the fridge within range of 38-42, which we can view on an external monitor. Usually it was at 41.

We tested it for weeks and I don't think it ever went below 38 and yet there was a small patch of frost the one day so obviously something happened.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My husband purchased a doohickey (sorry for lack of clarity) at a restaurant supply store that is normally used for walk-in fridges; it ensures the fridge's temperature is kept within a specific range--separate from the thermometer mechanism already in the fridge. Ours keeps the fridge within range of 38-42, which we can view on an external monitor. Usually it was at 41.

We tested it for weeks and I don't think it ever went below 38 and yet there was a small patch of frost the one day so obviously something happened.
In some fridges there are certain spots that will freeze a little bit at certain times. I've occasionally had the tips of greens form ice crystals and turn to mush, even thought the rest of the fridge is at the correct temperature.

The temperature might have been perfect at the spot where the probe from the doohickey was sitting, but there could have been a cold patch elsewhere. I use several of the little digital thermometers that record highs and lows to see if this is happening or not. I also move them around a bunch before hibernation to check for any of these cold spots. I also put one inside the hibernation box with the tortoise or lizard just to check.

Just guessing here, but the frost patch is what makes me think this might have been your issue. Just seems the most likely to me, and I'm not seeing anything else that is obvious.

In any case, I'm hoping for a speedy recovery and the good appetite is a great sign! :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When I had Chug in his fridge this year, he was in a plastic tub. He has outgrown the container used last year.

I put the temp sensor right in the tub next to him, and it never read lower than 42 deg.
But one time when I checked him, the edge of the tub against the back wall of the fridge had a thin line of ice on it.

I think the bin interrupted air flow at that spot. I adjusted the bin slightly forward, and it was ok from then on.

Scary! But fortunately he is fine. He'll need a new fridge next winter...he has outgrown this one.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
In some fridges there are certain spots that will freeze a little bit at certain times. I've occasionally had the tips of greens form ice crystals and turn to mush, even thought the rest of the fridge is at the correct temperature.

The temperature might have been perfect at the spot where the probe from the doohickey was sitting, but there could have been a cold patch elsewhere. I use several of the little digital thermometers that record highs and lows to see if this is happening or not. I also move them around a bunch before hibernation to check for any of these cold spots. I also put one inside the hibernation box with the tortoise or lizard just to check.

Thank you.

My husband tested every corner of the dang thing and comp’d it against our house fridge for MONTHS to prove it was no less stable than the house fridge because as you say, things in any fridge freeze on occasion (When he was a general and electrical contractor he did some work in air conditioning and he’s fussy about his work.) The internal probe is right next to her. She was insulated and separate from any wall of the fridge. Etc.

Anything can happen but it is going to be a sensitive conversation if frost turns out to have been the issue. I wanted to buy a large fridge for her, thus the exhaustive testing and build.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you.

My husband tested every corner of the dang thing and comp’d it against our house fridge for MONTHS to prove it was no less stable than the house fridge because as you say, things in any fridge freeze on occasion (When he was a general and electrical contractor he did some work in air conditioning and he’s fussy about his work.) The internal probe is right next to her. She was insulated and separate from any wall of the fridge. Etc.

Anything can happen but it is going to be a sensitive conversation if frost turns out to have been the issue. I wanted to buy a large fridge for her, thus the exhaustive testing and build.
I don't know what more you guys could have done to ensure safety. Sounds like you did all the right stuff.

I wish I had a definitive answer about what the problem was. I'd like to learn from this.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The vet gives Adila an “A+” on first review. After an eye flush she is a little squinty, likeliest cause is a mild mild respiratory infection. Gave us “Gentamicin” sulfate ophthalmic solution and thinks it will be cleared up in a week or two.

Has a mild suggestion we not hibernate again, given she was sick last year. This was my second worst possible answer, just after “Your tortoise is permanently blind and it’s your fault.”

Says we can bring her in again in the fall to discuss but we’d have to build an enclosure before that. Ugh.

TBD.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The vet gives Adila an “A+” on first review. After an eye flush she is a little squinty, likeliest cause is a mild mild respiratory infection. Gave us “Gentamicin” sulfate ophthalmic solution and thinks it will be cleared up in a week or two.

Has a mild suggestion we not hibernate again, given she was sick last year. This was my second worst possible answer, just after “Your tortoise is permanently blind and it’s your fault.”

Says we can bring her in again in the fall to discuss but we’d have to build an enclosure before that. Ugh.

TBD.

Well, lots of info!
I'm glad the vet doesn't think her eyes froze, since that could have been a permanent injury. Gentamycin eye drops are commonly used for eye infections, both animals and people.

Don't you have a spot in your house that is screaming for an "8 x 4ft enclosure"? No? Neither do I. I would be totally baffled if I needed to come up with a place. My house is small.

Is the space your concern? Or having to build it? If you want to buy rather than build, Markw84 has just built a mansion of a closed chamber, completely ready to use.
Here's the link if you haven't seen it.
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?posts/1726771

In the meantime we'll hope you won't need it at all!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, we are very glad as well.

It’s the space. The vet’s original suggestion was to put her in a box in the garage, not realizing it’s quite damp in our garage in the winter, in addition to rarely dropping even into the mid fifties.

Also, we actually park in our garage. Perhaps most people no longer do?

It would mean a guest room build

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, we are very glad as well.

It’s the space. The vet’s original suggestion was to put her in a box in the garage, not realizing it’s quite damp in our garage in the winter, in addition to rarely dropping even into the mid fifties.

Also, we actually park in our garage. Perhaps most people no longer do?

It would mean a guest room build
In the garage? I thought he wants you to keep her awake? BTW, we park in our garage, too.

You'd have to build a whole room onto your house? Do you have extra space on your property? You could buy a tiny travel trailer (used), gut it, and make it Addy's. Hang lights from the ceiling, have multiple heat sources, and voila! I think it would be less than building a room.

Just a thought that popped into my head...maybe kind of crazy.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The original suggestion was to box her and put there in the garage. Our vet’s experience—inland—is that Russians will stay awake outside in the winter if they have access to a heat source and he suggested that at her first visit several years ago; Addy does not and won’t stay awake so that’s not an option. It’s why we moved her to a fridge.

The next suggestion (yesterday) was the garage, which won’t work here near the ocean but would certainly be an option someplace inland where it gets colder and stays dryer.

So our realistic option would be a build to overwinter her. Technically I have a space; my guest bedroom. That’s not an exciting option, for obvious reasons. o_O

We’ll think about it. For now she’s healthy and that’s the important thing. I’ll likely ask some folks from our tortoise society what coastal owners find to be the best option.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
In the garage? I thought he wants you to keep her awake? BTW, we park in our garage, too.

You'd have to build a whole room onto your house? Do you have extra space on your property? You could buy a tiny travel trailer (used), gut it, and make it Addy's. Hang lights from the ceiling, have multiple heat sources, and voila! I think it would be less than building a room.

Just a thought that popped into my head...maybe kind of crazy.
Not so crazy, I have a big travel trailer that I plan to do that with. I am going to take the wheels off and make a ramp into it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Took a little longer than expected but she’s no longer squinty. She’s not in like with us right now, having been handled treated with one eye goop or another for quite a while. The antibiotic was actually the one she best tolerated during application. Seems odd but whatever, she’s cured!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Took a little longer than expected but she’s no longer squinty. She’s not in like with us right now, having been handled treated with one eye goop or another for quite a while. The antibiotic was actually the one she best tolerated during application. Seems odd but whatever, she’s cured!
Fantastic news! [emoji2]