runny nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

jengajumanji

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my tortoise has a runny nose today, is he sick? what do i do?

[edit] one quick additional question, I just gave my tortoise a bath, he still smells pretty bad, any tips on making him not stink, is it possible?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It does sound like he is sick with or without the runny nose. Your tortoise shouldn't smell and if he does then something is going on, usually an infection. You need to get him to a vet ASAP.
You might want to read this care sheet so you can better care for your tortoise. http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

Danny

jengajumanji

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
It does sound like he is sick with or without the runny nose. Your tortoise shouldn't smell and if he does then something is going on, usually an infection. You need to get him to a vet ASAP.
You might want to read this care sheet so you can better care for your tortoise. http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

Danny

thanks for the help, the article you sent said that if the runny nose is clear, which it was, its not a medical problem but a humidity issue, i'll have to look into that. he doesn't smell noticeably bad, but after giving him a bath i realized how dirty he was and that when i smelled real close his arms and tail didn't smell great, i have the feeling that he's still just kind of dirty. if he is sick, does anyone know anything about taking tortoises to the vet in new jersey, where they aren't legal as pets?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Jenga-tortoises are not illegal as pets in NJ, you just need to get a permit for $10 for a hobby permit but we will deal with that later. I am emailing you a vet in NJ that will see torts. I have used them before for dragons but have not had the need with any of my torts yet. After, I will explain the permit situation.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jengajumanji said:
the article you sent said that if the runny nose is clear, which it was, its not a medical problem but a humidity issue,

Jenga, I know what the artical said but I had a Greek with a runny nose and it was clear. Turned out to be a bad Upper Resp. Infection. I wouldn't take the chance I would have him seen by a vet-Especially us who are not experenced keepers better to be safe than sorry.

Regarding smelling bad. What does it smell like? (Poo or rancid decay?)I know when I soak mine they often poo or urinate and when you take them out they often smell. Change the soaking water if they soil it, (Sometimes I change mine 2 or 3 times), Rinse them if they soil, make sure they are clean - even use a soft toothbrush or nail brush on them - I don't use soap of any kind. Just water.

What is your humidity at anyway?

And I re-stress take it to the vet and have it checked out. A RI can go slowly but it can also take down a tort quickly. Don't chance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.