Rubbing left eye

Court19ney

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
My Russian tortoise won’t eat and we are noticing he will rub his left eye. There’s no reptile vets near me what do I do?

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
Before I got the great advice from this forum my little tort would rub his eye but usually because of the sand type substrate irritating him. Since I changed to orchid bark and made sure the humidity is ok he hasn't had a problem. If you post pics of your set up I am sure one of the experts on here can advise.

Court19ney

Pennsylvania
Before I got the great advice from this forum my little tort would rub his eye but usually because of the sand type substrate irritating him. Since I changed to orchid bark and made sure the humidity is ok he hasn't had a problem. If you post pics of your set up I am sure one of the experts on here can advise.
We are using 100% cypress.

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
On Tom's care sheet re substrate he says re cyprus mulch: some pieces are too big or too sharp. Could he have scratched his eye? I do recommend you upload some photos for the experts to check and I hope your little one is ok

Court19ney

Pennsylvania
On Tom's care sheet re substrate he says re cyprus mulch: some pieces are too big or too sharp. Could he have scratched his eye? I do recommend you upload some photos for the experts to check and I hope your little one is ok
I’m looking at other options as we speak. I’m allergic to coconut so can’t use that

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How wet or dry is your cypress mulch. I use cypress for our large Sulcata and cypress mulch can very dry and dusty & irritating. Sooo, check your substrate. Happy Torting

Court19ney

Pennsylvania
How wet or dry is your cypress mulch. I use cypress for our large Sulcata and cypress mulch can very dry and dusty & irritating. Sooo, check your substrate. Happy Torting
I spray it daily or when it comes dry looking. My husband and I are going to change the bedding type just gotta find one I’m not allergic to touch.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thank you both. We did some drops to help him open his eyes by zoo med.

Please don't use Vitamin A drops...tortoises fed a varied diet don't need it and it can be overdosed.

Use plain saline eye wash, like for contact lens wearers.

You can try rinsing the mulch to get the dust off.

Court19ney

Pennsylvania
Please don't use Vitamin A drops...tortoises fed a varied diet don't need it and it can be overdosed.

Use plain saline eye wash, like for contact lens wearers.

You can try rinsing the mulch to get the dust off.
Ok thank you I’ll try that instead. I noticed it this morning especially since he won’t eat the last few days

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Ok thank you I’ll try that instead. I noticed it this morning especially since he won’t eat the last few days
Make sure you have the right kind of uvb radiation bulb and that the substrate is giving off the right level of humidity...all current care info is found here:

Adults torts, in particular, this time of year will start to slow down...even if being kept indoors under stable artificial conditions. This is normal, but the eye symptom is not. Read through the article above and tweak your set up as needed.

Court19ney

Pennsylvania
Make sure you have the right kind of uvb radiation bulb and that the substrate is giving off the right level of humidity...all current care info is found here:

Adults torts, in particular, this time of year will start to slow down...even if being kept indoors under stable artificial conditions. This is normal, but the eye symptom is not. Read through the article above and tweak your set up as needed.
Thank you for sharing that info it helps a lot.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
I still feel it would be a good idea to post pics of your light/UVB set up too so the experts on this forum can check because that could also be a factor with your tort rubbing his eye