Rubbermaid Christmas Tree Totes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Ok, I did get mine at Wal-Mart but I found the name on the box it is
Iris Holiday tree storage box. "Iris" is the brand name. It is 52 7/8 x 20 7/8 x 14 1/8, they are sort of clear with a red top.
I did a quick search and found them on the net up to $42.00 - but I am sure they are out there for less.

Hope this helps.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks for the info! Looks like I have to get on the ball and find some. Might have 2 female russians coming!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In this area ,E.Iowa/W.Illinois, they on sale this week at both Walmart & K-mart for $10-$12 each. I'm checking out this afternoon.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That is soooooo.......frustrating! I cannot find any anywhere around here. Wish you were closer, I would ask you to get me a couple!

swedeheart

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everyone tells me you shouldn't have glass aquariums for your torts (which is why i chose not to get one). But how are they different from a Rubbermaid box? Is it because they are plastic they don't store the heat? Or they are just bigger than most aquariums?
It's just something that I have been wondering...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
First of all they're much cheaper. The opaque plastic seems to give torts more security. The square footage is larger with the right type (long and low), which why everyone is looking for christmas storage boxes. The one thing do with mine is make a cover of 1"x 1" lumber and 1" chicken wire to keep unwanted guests out (I have three dogs and 4 cats) and use the lid that comes with them to control humidity.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You are right. The glass does hold the heat a bit much and does not allow the best air circulation. And of course you want to allow as much space as possible. Plus it stresses torts too much if they can see out. They then make it their mission to try to get out and end up going no where. Stressful!

swedeheart

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies! I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about my tortoise. It's starting to feel like everything stresses them out lol

swedeheart

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh one more question! What do you guys thingk of vision cages? are they just as bad as aquariums? or is the reason no one here seems to have them cause they are RIDICULOUS expensive?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am not familiar with vision cages. But if they are super expensive, there is no need to do that when you can keep the cost of your enclosure very reasonable.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was just looking at vision cages last night. They are way too expensive!!!
I have mine in a glass aquarium (as suggested by the breeder) I'm still very confused as to why they can't be in a glass aquarium. She seems happy to me.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The glass enclosure is like an oven, it traps in the heat and slowly fries them! It doesn't allow for the variances in temps that are needed, and doesn't provide them with good airflow, either. Also most (but not all) torties get really upset when they can see out but can't GET out!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
even the lower sided viv's they make now, with an open top?

I apologize, I'm not trying to be contradictory. I'm just aggitated because the breeder told me to use the glass enclosure and my book says to use it also. I spent a lot of money on it and everyone else says not to use it!! I'm just trying to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.