RT Owner in Dubai - Need help and Guidance

yh007xb

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
Hello

So we rescued an RT that was walking around in the community in Dubai. We appealed to find the owner but no one came forward so we decide to adopt him.

I have done as much reading as i can absorb but we just need some direct help from owners of this kind of tort.

He is eating well, once a day and pretty much eats all the food. BUT then he pretty much goes into a corner and in his shell for most of the day. He may come wondering out, but likes to stay put. It is around 24 - 25 Degrees C in Dubai right now. We bring him inside in the later afternoons as it can get as low as 13 degrees C.

Is this normal for him? anything we should be concerned about OR look into?

We have made him a pretty big area to roam around in with a verity of surfaces to explore.

What temperatures can these guys handle. I am more concerns about the spring and summer months. What preparation do i need to consider for that period?

any help and guidance would really be appreciated as i do not know anyone reliable who has kept torts in this area.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20210101_134104.jpg
    20210101_134104.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 20201223_162113.jpg
    20201223_162113.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 67

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Can we see more pics of your tortoise, From that pic Im not sure thats an RT.

The enclosure looks nice, how big is it. FYI, your tort will mix all that landscaping up before long.

The enclosure does need more hides, Torts dont spend a lot of time in the open, they like to have cover close by and often bask partially shaded. Also get a big terracotta base 12 inches across or bigger and use that as a water dish, it needs access to water at all times and will need to be regularly refreshed. I also wouldnt put aloe vera in there, its not toxic, but it works kinda like a laxative for them.

yh007xb

Dubai
Can we see more pics of your tortoise, From that pic Im not sure thats an RT.

The enclosure looks nice, how big is it. FYI, your tort will mix all that landscaping up before long.

The enclosure does need more hides, Torts dont spend a lot of time in the open, they like to have cover close by and often bask partially shaded. Also get a big terracotta base 12 inches across or bigger and use that as a water dish, it needs access to water at all times and will need to be regularly refreshed. I also wouldnt put aloe vera in there, its not toxic, but it works kinda like a laxative for them.

Here is the other pic i have. I thought it was an RT. This is when we rescued him.

Sure i will definitely look into all your suggestions. He has access to freshwater but doesnt seem interested. Even when i gave him a bath (we have had him for 2 weeks. His enclosure is around 3m x 3m Which for his size should be plenty of space right?

Attachments

• 20201221_184958.jpg
    20201221_184958.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 49

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
15-40 Celsius is a rough range for Russians (I'm a Fahrenheit guy, but I think I got the translations right)... above or below that I'd provide shade with misting to help them cool off or an opportunity to warm up.

I think that in the short term, I'd soak your new tort every day, in warm, 30C, water for 20-30 minutes... after a week or two you could go to once a week, which would still likely be of benefit to the tortoise.

What are you feeding the tortoise?

Russians need a mostly greens and weeds and flowers and cacti based diet....

Good luck and keep coming back with the questions and pictures!

Jamie

yh007xb

Dubai
Thank you for the advice, i didn't realise that i should bath him daily. I have been doing it weekly. I will definitely start tomorrow. I will look to adding more shad into his area. probably get him a little shed to hide in.

We feed him mostly greens, He loves Romaine lettuce and kale leaves and also has started to eat JBL AGIVERT TORTOISE FOOD too.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank you for the advice, i didn't realise that i should bath him daily. I have been doing it weekly. I will definitely start tomorrow. I will look to adding more shad into his area. probably get him a little shed to hide in.

We feed him mostly greens, He loves Romaine lettuce and kale leaves and also has started to eat JBL AGIVERT TORTOISE FOOD too.
He really doesn't need a soak every day, but having been homeless for a bit, he's likely a bit dehydrated, so will probably do better with daily soaks for a week or two.

J

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It looks like you have a greek tortoise/mesopotamian tortoise. It's definitely not a Russian. I would guess Testudo graeca terrestris based on the pic. More pics and pics of the plastron (bottom shell) would help.

Here's a good site showing the different types of Greeks:

And this is a good care sheet:

Check out the Greek subforum as well.

Last edited:

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Yeah, as I suspected. This is not a russian, it is a greek tort of some variety.

Torts dont show a lot of interest in or care for their water, but nevertheless it is a basic principle of tortoise care to ensure they have access to fresh water every day.

yh007xb

Dubai
Thank you all for your feedback, you are all right, he does definitely look more Greek than Russian. testudo graeca terrestris very likely as someone has said.

Great advice by all and thank you so much for your help. One question i do have is how much should he be sleeping. He is active from around 8am to 10.30am -11am. Then he pretty much hides away until i bring him inside. Is this normal for greeks?