RT Noticed around mouth /nose more red

Ryan J

491D5DF0-F513-40CC-A8C6-150DA56F33B2.jpeg D515BB10-A4C4-431E-B052-38B891285BB4.jpeg I recently noticed two days ago that around my Russian tortoises nose is more red than usual. I have attached a picture of what it looks like and not sure if it something I shouldn’t be super considerate about or if it’s just normal I believe she’s acting normal but I am gone most of the day during the week same substrate which is red bark. I recently noticed two days ago that around my Russian tortoises nose is more red than usual. I have attached a picture of what it looks like and not sure if it something I shouldn’t be super considerate about or if it’s just normal I believe she’s acting normal but I am gone most of the day during the week same substrate which is red bark Anyone have any idea or if I should take her to the vet as soon as I can. Also attached the picture when I first got her about 2 years ago

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I don't think it's the substrate that is causing the discoloration. If it was, you would see staining on the legs and shell.
There doesn't seem to be any other possible culprits in the enclosure either.
What about your torts diet, what foods do you feed?

Just a side note- your tort would benefit from a much larger enclosure and that style of water dish has been known to be a flipping/ drowning hazard.

Ryan J

I don't think it's the substrate that is causing the discoloration. If it was, you would see staining on the legs and shell.
There doesn't seem to be any other possible culprits in the enclosure either.
What about your torts diet, what foods do you feed?

Just a side note- your tort would benefit from a much larger enclosure and that style of water dish has been known to be a flipping/ drowning hazard.

Normally Romaine lettuce green leaf lettuce redleaf lettuce escarole and yeah I live in a one bedroom room I can’t really do much with the enclosure right now I mean it’s a 50 gallon tank but that’s all I can really work with until I move out/into a bigger residence. I thought maybe with the recent Romaine lettuce E. coli breakout that there could possibly be at I’ve only noticed it this week but I’m not sure

Ryan J

There are red rocks that I got from Petsmart that she may knawe on/chewed on

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Normally Romaine lettuce green leaf lettuce redleaf lettuce escarole and yeah I live in a one bedroom room I can’t really do much with the enclosure right now I mean it’s a 50 gallon tank but that’s all I can really work with until I move out/into a bigger residence. I thought maybe with the recent Romaine lettuce E. coli breakout that there could possibly be at I’ve only noticed it this week but I’m not sure

Are you able to do a 4x4 double decker? Because that enclosure is much, much too small for an adult Russian.

Bambam1989

East Texas
There are red rocks that I got from Petsmart that she may knawe on/chewed on
That's probably it.
You might get some multi-vitamins for reptiles. Rock chewing can be a early sign of a mineral deficiency. Also a cuttlebone is a great source of calcium that you can leave in the enclosure, good for their beaks too