RT eating dirt (and has a “black” tongue)

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I got a health question from someone on Instagram. I corrected mostly everything she was doing. She fed her Russian Tortoise salmon, peas, carrots, and mushrooms. His main enclosure has no heat or UVB (it was a basket) about 1 square foot large. I’ve informed her with the correct information and she’s made him a secure outdoor enclosure and improved his diet. Though she asked me why her tortoise is eating dirt.. I’m unsure about that? She also claims and asks why her tortoises tongue is “black”? Never heard of that before..

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I got a health question from someone on Instagram. I corrected mostly everything she was doing. She fed her Russian Tortoise salmon, peas, carrots, and mushrooms. His main enclosure has no heat or UVB (it was a basket) about 1 square foot large. I’ve informed her with the correct information and she’s made him a secure outdoor enclosure and improved his diet. Though she asked me why her tortoise is eating dirt.. I’m unsure about that? She also claims and asks why her tortoises tongue is “black”? Never heard of that before..
The dirt eating may be a sign of a mineral deficiency. A multi vitamin supplement twice a week for a couple of weeks then cut back to once a week should help.
The black tongue may be from eating his poop or some other staining food?