RT drinks a lot- is soaking still necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I have a 7-month old Russian tortoise and lately I've noticed him drinking from his water dish almost every day. (It's really adorable to watch!)
I used to soak him daily, but I've heard that the purpose of soaking them is so that they drink water. I have never seen him drink water while I'm soaking him.
Sometimes he actually enjoys the warm soak, but other times he'll try to climb out, so then I just let him out so he isn't stressed.

Should I still soak him, even if I notice that he is drinking regularly? I was thinking of just soaking him 2-3 days a week instead of daily. Thoughts?

Thanks!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
You can continue to soak him if you like, but like you've heard the purpose of soaking them is to help keep them hydrated in hopes that they will drink during their bath. My russian, Ernie, hardly ever drinks water. I've had him for about 3 months now and have only actually seen him drink [during his bath] once. I've never actually seen him drink from his water dish, but I keep it in there just in case. I always soak Ernie [2-3 weekly] also. As long as your tort is keeping hydrated, thats all that matters.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I do not think you need to do daily soaks. I never did them with my young tortoises personally. I found it more stressing than helpful. Anouk, my yearling hated being soaked. She would just claw and try to get out of the bin. I saw evidence daily of her using the dish.

My youngest, Novalee, I also do not soak daily. I know this could turn into a big debate here, but I really see no problem in not doing it if there isn't a problem, and the tortoise uses their dish.

At 7 months old you could do once weekly soaks and be fine. If its stressful for the animal, I think that it causes more harm then good.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How lucky mine (3) have access to a water bowl 24/7 yet I never ever see them drink, lots of poo'ing in the water I do see but no drinking. Honestly if he is drinking on his own I would only soak him once a week but the choice is yours

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Thank you for your responses! I will soak him weekly then.
If he tries to climb out I remove him immediately. Most of the time he just chills there with his limbs spread out :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Especially when you see a tortoise using the dish I see no reason to soak. My little guy uses his dish and the only reason I soak (which is not a forced soak as I just place him in his enclosure water dish after I put fresh warm water in it, and he gets out when he wants to) is if he looks dry, is dirty, or I haven't seen evidence of him using the dish in days. I don't think a weekly soak is even necessary, unless it makes you feel better/safer.

samstar

5 Year Member
I see Torty's water dish dirty 2-3 times a week so I know he is going in himself to soak and drink, however I still do soak him about 4 times a week. It helps them poop.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I put alfie in a separate larger bowl of fresh warm water to soak 2-3 times a week. The bowl in her enclosure is now only just big enough for her to fit in, but if i haven't soaked her as often as normal, she will just climb in herself and have a little soak! Actually before she does this she usually comes to the front of her vivarium and looks out as if to say 'come on, time for a soak, what are you playing at!'.

I do see her drink from the bowl normally a couple of times in a week, but she will drink when in her separate soaking tub.

So i dont think its a problem. Your tortoise will know when it needs water and will probably do the sensible thing itself :)

Sulcatatortoiseman

5 Year Member
just soak them in warm water and they might like it.You should soak hatchlings daily because it is easier to get them dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.