Rowan has pneumonia

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello @Aunt Caffy . How's Rowan today? Sincerely hope he's recovered.:)
The little guy is still eating. His preferred food is Mazuri soaked in very watered down sweet potato baby food. His X-ray showed some improvement, but he's still not in the clear. He's starting to be a little more active than he'd been. My husband said it looked like there had been an earthquake in Rowan's habitat because the little guy had knocked over a few things.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
His X-rays last night showed that he's still improving. He's getting a tracheal swab on Monday to determine what kind of bacteria it is and if he's still sick. Has anyone else here had a tracheal swab done on your tort? I just want to know how rough it is on them.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
His X-rays last night showed that he's still improving. He's getting a tracheal swab on Monday to determine what kind of bacteria it is and if he's still sick. Has anyone else here had a tracheal swab done on your tort? I just want to know how rough it is on them.

I've never had it done on a tortoise, but I've helped do it to dogs and cats as a vet assistant. They cough and gag for a minute and give you the 'stink eye' but that's about it. I think the level of trauma will depend on his comfort level around new things and the vet's ability to gt his mouth open.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I've never had it done on a tortoise, but I've helped do it to dogs and cats as a vet assistant. They cough and gag for a minute and give you the 'stink eye' but that's about it. I think the level of trauma will depend on his comfort level around new things and the vet's ability to gt his mouth open.
The vet said they're going to give him something to relax his muscles. Intramuscular injection, I believe, to get him to open his mouth.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The vet said they're going to give him something to relax his muscles. Intramuscular injection, I believe, to get him to open his mouth.
Hi, how's your cutie today? Hope to hear he is better now.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Hi, how's your cutie today? Hope to hear he is better now.
He was knocking things over yesterday. His appetite is rather good, especially after a nice baby food soak. He probably doesn't need the baby food soaks still, but I figure it can't hurt.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Watching and waiting to hear how he is doing...the injection sounds scary. Ugh. Guess they know what they are doing.....hope so for Rowan's and your sakes!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He was knocking things over yesterday. His appetite is rather good, especially after a nice baby food soak. He probably doesn't need the baby food soaks still, but I figure it can't hurt.
It seems he's much better, and I hope he is.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Watching and waiting to hear how he is doing...the injection sounds scary. Ugh. Guess they know what they are doing.....hope so for Rowan's and your sakes!
He's back home. After several days off antibiotics, his throat has gotten all mucous-y again. Until his tests come back, he's going on antibiotics again. Throughout it all, his appetite has remained steadfastly good.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
His tests came back. It was a type of Pseudomonas bacteria, and it has an intermediate resistance to the antibiotic he's been on. There were several options, and I decided on a liquid oral medication which will be "tutti frutti" flavor. I ordered some hypodermic needles so that I can inject it into Mazuri. The tutti frutti won't be in until next week, so he'll stay on the other antibiotic until then.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Rowan has become increasingly rambunctious. He's been on the move and knocking things over. I wonder how he will be when he's no longer on antibiotics and getting the medicated Mazuri everyday. Will Rowan throw a tantrum and refuse to eat? I can't tell you how happy I was to see him tearing around his habitat.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I demand photographic proof! ;)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What a pretty smooth boy! Glad he is back to being a tiny terror.