Rosie shakes :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieAndJim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello all,

Me and rosie are back, shes a female russian tortoise, about two years old (guessing from growth rings and size) and is in good health and high spirits.

one thing bothers me however, and bear with me on the description.
sometimes her neck and head rhythmically twitches, or shakes, as if in tune with a drum (or her heart beating maybe?). was wondering if anyone else has seen this in their tortoise? hopefully nothing to worry about...

Thanks!

Jim

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hopefully not cause I catch mine every once in a why bobbing there heads up and down. I notice it the most when I am sitting there watching them or getting ready to give them there food.. How big is yours?? I was told and have read that growth rings are not a real good indicator of age, the can wear down or have times when the growth slow or super fast, w/o a hatch date it is a best guess. How big is your russian??

RosieAndJim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
I was told and have read that growth rings are not a real good indicator of age, the can wear down or have times when the growth slow or super fast, w/o a hatch date it is a best guess. How big is your russian??

1 sec ill grab a ruler...

her shell is 9.7cm long by 8.5cm wide, so shes only little, from head to tail she averages 13cm in length. yeah i found it remarkably hard to count the rings, it became more of a guesstimation so your opinion is welcome!

and bobbing is probaly a better description of what she does, and yeah its usually when shes not moving and when food's involved. thanks for help!

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
my tort does this, my turtle did it when i had one when i was ten - i think it's normal

but i am not an expert.

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
My tort does the head thing to,Its pretty normal.
If your tort is cb and you got it from a breeder,they would let you know when the tort was born.
If your tort is wc and over 4" it is more likely your tort is 10 to 15 years old

Jelbel

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
apparently its something they do to measure chances of danger. their neck bobs up and down. i have no idea what the science is but thats what i heard!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.