Rosewood brand "Meadow Hay Bales" -- WOW!

Jeffrey Jeffries

Location (City and/or State)
Odessa, Florida, US
While I've been feeding mostly fresh grasses and foliage to my, now, two Sulcata (grassland) tortoises (one several inches and one 70 lbs.), I've tried them on dried products like Zoomed Grassland Tortoise Food as well as feed store T & A hay (tiny bits for the wee one). They never have taken to eating these products without mixing it with something they like, heavily, but I like the idea of having a fall-back food or supplement which will keep easily through the outdoor winter when my own plants slow down or in between paychecks (I do freeze some products).

In fact every dried product like this I've ever smelled, even for rodents, has always smelled about the same... unappetizing and musty.

The other day I discovered here in Florida, US (at Walmart no less) Rosewood (brand) Naturals (line) "Meadow Hay Bales" for rodents. Immediately my wife and I noticed the sweet, fragrant, fresh smell that almost made us want to eat some. The ingredients are their meadow mix --
Orchard grass
Dandelion
Red clover
Plantain
Tall oat grass
Downy Alpine oat grass
Smooth stalk meadow grass
Velvet grass
Soft broom grass
Sorrel
Wild chervil
Tufted vetch

unless any of this is wildly or markedly poisonous specifically to tortoises,it's a fantastic find for me.
Right away the hardest one to please with dry grass, the small Sulcata, took a whiff of some soaked in my slightly alkaline well water, anthropomorphically appeared to be in disbelief, and pigged out twice with a rest in between.
He likes it even better than Zoomed Grassland tortoise pellets soaked in cactus juice.

The product comes very compressed but if you look at the weight it's 2 pounds 3 ounces... I think for about $6 US.

Soon the big guy will have the majority of the back half-acre to graze (still working on new fence-walls and buried barriers on what will be a good 1/3 acre total between two connected sections) , but right now he's stuck in bout 18' x 18' chain link kennel with wiped-out grass (successfully micro-climate'd, at least, with 1/2 sun, 1/2 shade, and a triple-shaded artificial burrow made with larger and smaller civil engineering drainage tubes sawed into half pipes placed like a dog house under tree shade (one larger tube for additional shade and thru-draft which cools the smaller, inner tube as if it were subterranean... hopefully not too bad of a space, temporarily, for a zero-notice tortoise drop-off). I take him for an hour walk each day until the back yard is finished, he pigs out on 4 fresh grass types, choosing to do so about 1 out of 3 days by choice, but is a picky eater in-between and/or the temporary enclosure. His shell is deformed from previous owners feeding him almost nothing but Romaine and he's picky because of habit, but him eating this product as a supplement is a God-send.

Last edited: