Roses for torts?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi I bought a rose about a month ago and it's flowered! I remember reading that torts can eat the petals, is that true? Thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433582280.403779.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It is but you should wait a year before feeding a store bought plant to him. Give the rose time to detox all the chemicals they use on them.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
The place I bought it from don't use chemicals but then nursery they came from before might have. I heard that you only feed the new growth if a shop bought plant, is this true? If so then that is new growth as it didn't even have buds when I got it :)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
What a beautiful rose! If it were me I would wait till these first blooms pass (cut those and put them on your table!) then feed the second blooms. I like to err on the side of "completely paranoid" though. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rose flowers and leaves are good tortoise food, but most roses are grown with systemic pesticides. It takes up to a year for these to dissipate.

Personally, I'm not sure these plants are okay even after a year. I prefer to just grow my own from seed.