Rosebud's Outdoor Enclosure

JayTay

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hey Everyone! Way back in February I started planning an outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise, Rosebud. Due to budget constraints, I was only able to do a 12' x 4' section of the bed along the south side of the house. (The picture was taken before I fixed the edging, so it's a bit crooked!)

Materials: 50 lb bag of sand (x3), 50 lbs of paving gravel (x3), 3 cubic feet of topsoil, 1 bag of ornamental river rock (for extra drainage under the faucet), weed barrier, bamboo landscape edging, and larger rocks from the yard. All supplies were available at Home Depot. (I had to order the edging online and did in-store pick up.) I already had the weed barrier and larger rocks. Overall budget was about $90 + lots of labor.

Step One: Prepping the site - It was originally a succulent garden, so I had to re-home all of the plants to make room. Due to the clay soil in my area, I dug as far down around the perimeter to slope the area like you would imagine a zoo enclosure (more drainage, less escaping!). The clay is so hard that it would take any tortoise a long time to dig under and then leveled the topsoil with a slight grade. Laid down the weed barrier to contain substrate and combat the horrible weeds that plague my yard. Pounded in the bamboo edging with a rubber mallet - so easy!

Step Two: Mix and Add substrate - Mixed equal parts sand+gravel+soil in a wheelbarrow and shoveled it in.I sloped the entire area with the highest point being at the house's foundation, but also added two high spots and a couple of 'valleys' for added interest. Added the river rocks under the faucet for extra drainage. Note on substrate depth: I got this mixture from the Tortoise Trust, but I was just not able to afford (nor haul in my sedan) the amounts necessary for a 4" depth. I did half that and it totaled 16 cubic feet of substrate!

Step Three: Add the Finishing touches! I found a large flooring tile and terra cotta planter bases of various sizes at a salvage home improvement shop (ReStore) for food and waterspots. I also, bizarrely enough, had some pieces of cedar lying around and decided to get crafty - making a shelter and a woven screen. I have also added an additional hiding tunnel since the picture was taken.

Step Four: Add tortoise! And fresh water. And freshly washed garden greens if Rosebud has any say.

Pros - This enclosure was affordable and easy to construct, so an accessible way to get that natural sunlight and exercise. I also have a great view from the breakfast table window, so I can keep an eye on him. I love that I can watch him (and he can give me the stare) while I work in the yard!

Cons - Not a year-round enclosure and not secure enough for overnight stays. We have a fenced in yard which discourages larger animals, but I can't guarantee neighborhood cats, opossums, or raccoons won't make an appearance. Due to the climate in Oregon, I make sure to keep him inside on colder/wetter days and definitely full-time when fall rolls around.

Future Changes - Top priority would be to get some plants in there, preferably oat grass or blue fescue because they seem to love that part of the yard.

Attachments

• Rosebud.jpg
    Rosebud.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 53
  • RosebudsHome.jpg
    RosebudsHome.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 54