Road Trip

dmarshall1991

Well the week has gone by soooo slow but Saturday is finally approaching!! I will be leaving Saturday morning and driving about 2 1/2 hours to go pick up my little love!
I need all you awesome people's advice though on something! Transportation. How should i go about this? I want him to be comfortable on the trip home and I don't want the poor guy to undergo any more stress than necessary as he's already gone through so much the past month being abandoned and stuff. I was thinking putting some bunched up towels in a Rubbermaid or something and setting him on the seat. But I'm not sure if I should do that or if I should give him a completely dark space with some towels for security or something. What would you do?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I transport mine in small runnermaid type containers with lids and holes for ventilation. In each enclosure i have cypress mulch so they have something to hang onto. A towel should be fine.
I would keep him warm and make sure he doesn't tip over.
He should be fine!
Good luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I use the plastic containers and ones not that much bigger then the tortoise. Just enough for a little moving, but not enough to be sliding all around. I like paper towels or moist long strand sphagnum moss. I then normally cover/wrap the package with a towel to help keep down temp changes and I think dark helps them to be more calm. I seatbelt them in, if on a seat so incase of a sudden stop, they don't go flying. Make sure they don't have a draft on them or hot sun shining through the windows. I keep the car warm for them, warmer then if they were not in it. If you stop along the way, make sure temps won't rise to much in the car while your inside. If size allows, I sneak them inside with me.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use the plastic containers and ones not that much bigger then the tortoise. Just enough for a little moving, but not enough to be sliding all around. I like paper towels or moist long strand sphagnum moss. I then normally cover/wrap the package with a towel to help keep down temp changes and I think dark helps them to be more calm. I seatbelt them in, if on a seat so incase of a sudden stop, they don't go flying. Make sure they don't have a draft on them or hot sun shining through the windows. I keep the car warm for them, warmer then if they were not in it. If you stop along the way, make sure temps won't rise to much in the car while your inside. If size allows, I sneak them inside with me.
I do exactly that too, dark small box, only newspaper instead of paper towels...I've transported so many tortoises between Calif and Oregon. Taking them all into the motel room is a kick. Try telling management you have 7 tortoises and a cat in the car...gonna go into the room...hahaha

dmarshall1991

Thanks a bunch everyone :) I'm gonna use a mix of advice from all of you. I'll keep him in a small Rubbermaid with a bunched up towel and then I'll wrap the Rubbermaid in a thicker dark towel to keep him from any drafts and make it dark.
Maggie3fan that motel room adventure sounds fun haha I remember having to sneak 4 pet rats a bearded dragon a ball python and my 2 dogs and a cat into a hotel room before. It was interesting that's for sure :p they knew bout the cat and 2 dogs. But I'm fairly certain that they did not know they were a accommodating rats and lizards and snakes aswell :p