Ripley is getting a little excited?

clmaddison

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi Guys pretty new here,
I have a Horsefield Tortoise called Ripley. I don't actually know how old he is (he's a rescue)
I recently replaced his slope going up to his second floor because he was getting a little big for it, I accidentally left a gap between them.. so Ripley managed to fit his tail between it, I thought he was stuck and went to pick him up when I noticed he had 'it' out. I've caught him with it out before (little awkward when we locked eyes?) I feel like I have to close the gap incase he actually does get stuck when I'm out and I dont want to take this away from him I'm all for him doing his thing. so my question is; is there anything at all I can buy (apart from a female) he can use or do his own thing with. This probably sounds weird but we've built a bond and I dont wanna upset this little guy

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi Guys pretty new here,
I have a Horsefield Tortoise called Ripley. I don't actually know how old he is (he's a rescue)
I recently replaced his slope going up to his second floor because he was getting a little big for it, I accidentally left a gap between them.. so Ripley managed to fit his tail between it, I thought he was stuck and went to pick him up when I noticed he had 'it' out. I've caught him with it out before (little awkward when we locked eyes?) I feel like I have to close the gap incase he actually does get stuck when I'm out and I dont want to take this away from him I'm all for him doing his thing. so my question is; is there anything at all I can buy (apart from a female) he can use or do his own thing with. This probably sounds weird but we've built a bond and I dont wanna upset this little guy
I think all male tortoises manage to find a substitute for a female, however inappropriate it may seem. Ours, a Hermanns who is 20, loves shoes, especially my red and black trainers, and he was recently given a large plastic tortoise, which he also loves to climb on (and fall off) - I am sure you will come across all sorts of things - i suggest red and rounded but fairly heavy and solid, for a start !
Angie

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't know if you've already seen this but this is the current caresheet for all Med. Torts.

Can you post pics of his enclosure so you can get some tailor made ideas?

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi Guys pretty new here,
Welcome to the forum. You'll get giggles from me, but most owners have encountered this extra tail problem & it's recounted frequently here, including the 1st time its owner saw it, so don't be shy. Lots of people with lots of experience. Welcome!!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi Guys pretty new here,
You may have to try a few different things to see what he likes. My little guy is friendly with a rock I have in his enclosure. When I moved him into a larger enclosure I gave him 6 or so ”girlfriend” rock options and he still went for the original so he seems to have a preference! Not sure what I’ll do when he gets too big for the rock ? I have heard many times that shoes tend to go over well too, but I haven’t tried that yet.

1367FAB6-D5A5-4A4E-9BFA-0FECEBA53F47.jpeg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi Guys pretty new here,
I wonder if,as tortoises live solitary lives, the male ones feel the need to keep their equipment in good working order, just in case a female appears. It might be a bit like going to the gym (only probably more fun !)
We introduced Zola to a lovely female tortoise once, and he ran away,with her chasing him - I think he is quite happy with his mum's trainers for now !!
Angie

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I wonder if,as tortoises live solitary lives, the male ones feel the need to keep their equipment in good working order, just in case a female appears. It might be a bit like going to the gym (only probably more fun !)
We introduced Zola to a lovely female tortoise once, and he ran away,with her chasing him - I think he is quite happy with his mum's trainers for now !!
Angie
My "nephew" (a minature schnauzer) is neutered. Nevertheless, he humps legs & loves my hubby's big feet! A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do, I guess.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My "nephew" (a minature schnauzer) is neutered. Nevertheless, he humps legs & loves my hubby's big feet! A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do, I guess.
Ah, but does he know he is neutered? I think he would feel the same need anyway !
Angie

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Ah, but does he know he is neutered? I think he would feel the same need anyway !
Angie
It's weird. The other one they got 6 months later has never humped anything or anyone. Give him the right size stuffed animal & Benny humps away. Jiminy could care less.